Grenadine as a back sweetner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Brotherbill

Reaction score
I have a cherry apple cider cooking away right now. The question I have is if I have add a sweetner would this work and is there enough sodium benzate in the grenadine or do I have to add campden tablets as well.

Recipe is 3 cans Old Orchard Cherry Apple Concentrate, 4 tbs Lactose, American Ale Yeast, water to one gallon. OG 1.045 I believe. I don't have my notes right here with me. Also I'm looking for more cherry then apple flavor in the end product.

If it turns out where I have the flavor I'm looking for I'll go without the sweetner and bottle carb. However, if it's not what I want I was thinking about using Grenadine for the cherry flavor boost. But not sure about how much campden to use to prevent bottle bombs.

Grenadine is made from pomegranates (traditionally) and you need sorbate to stop the fermentation. Might be an interesting addition to a cherry cider, though.

Another option is wine conditioner, which is sorbate and invert sugar.

David_42, Grenadine already has sorbate in it. Is it enough for the batch, or does more need to be added?

From what I understand sorbate and sulfates should always be added together at the end to stabilize.

Various preservatives are used. I would not depend on the levels in the Grenadine to be enough to stabilize the cider.

Yes, using both sorbate and sulfates gives the best results. I tend to add the sulfate at the start before adding the yeast, so I failed to mention using both.

Latest posts

Back