Any issues driving malt back to Canada from the US?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinck

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm driving to the states for the week and am wondering if anyone knows/has experienced issues bringing malt back?

I'll probably be bringing 100 lbs or so back with me (bag of pilsner, bag of marris otter for those who are curious).

I tried navigating the canadian border website and its horribly unclear.

Thanks!!!!!

After doing a lot of traveling across the border a couple years ago, I found that no two border crossings are the same. Some are much more strict than others, and it depends on if the guard is in a good mood or not. I don't know what to tell you, but be careful if you do.

I bring 100 - 150 lbs of barley, at a time back from Montana to BC, There is a limit but the guys at our bumbelscum crossing had no clue what it was and wern't all that interested in looking it up. u can always call 1800 O CANADA and ask them who to ask, they'll usaly connect you for free( I got the qutoa for US chicken through them). You should be fine with that amount but its a free call to check.

After doing a lot of traveling across the border a couple years ago, I found that no two border crossings are the same. Some are much more strict than others, and it depends on if the guard is in a good mood or not. I don't know what to tell you, but be careful if you do.

I'll probably call customs then and here it from them. I don't want to have to "be careful", I want to either know that I can bring it back, or not so I'm not wasting money on buying the border guard some pilsner.

I'm only guessing, but I think you'd be okay with malted barley because the seeds aren't viable. If you're trying to transport viable seeds of any kind you're in for a world of bureaucratic hurt.

I'll probably call customs then and here it from them. I don't want to have to "be careful", I want to either know that I can bring it back, or not so I'm not wasting money on buying the border guard some pilsner.

I say that calling customs is being careful. I've dealt with them in my travels, and again the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Bureaucrats...

I say that calling customs is being careful. I've dealt with them in my travels, and again the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Bureaucrats...

THIS. In dealing with any bureacracy, always assume the maximum degree of confusion, obfuscation, delay, and annoyance. Your blood pressure will thank you.

Just to follow up, I called the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and Canadian Border Services.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency had a bit of a hard time with the concept of a malted grain. I had to explain the malting process a few times. They later came back with the answer from a supervisor that there were no restrictions on me bringing it into the country because the barley was processed already.

Canadian Border Services just asked if it contained alcohol.

I'll update again once I've (hopefully) successfully made it accross with my bounty.

Cheers!

Back