Chocolate replacing Pale Chocolate- ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesy

Reaction score
LHBS was out of Pale Chocolate, so i got some regular chocolate at 380L. Recipe I am going to try would have needed 1oz (yes oz, i am making a 2.75 fv batch) Pale Chocolate at like 200L. I am thinking on doing .5oz Chocolate, crushing it pretty fine by hand, then putting it on top of grain bed at sparge time. I think this will prevent too much roast coming through whilst still getting the color and some flavor. What does anyone else think? :mug:

Using half the amount of chocolate malt is a reasonable approximation of of using Pale chocolate malt. Its not the same but close enough most of the time, especially if only used for a small percentage of the grain bill.

Craig

I just tasted the two side by side. Pale is like realy well done toast, regular chocolate is burnt toast. Pretty close but not the same. Brewing is about improvising much of the time so go for it.

GT

Back