Transporting kegs??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getnit

Reaction score
What is the best way to transport 5 gallon kegs long distances?? Brew still in secondary. I was going to transfer and carbonated 3-5 days before I leave on our weekend. Can they lay down? Is there a maximum angle you should not exceed? Any suggestions or similar threads to view?

Thanks

Yep as long as it's sealed up you should be fine. I do want to warn that you should get it setting upright (and preferably cold) as soon as you can after the move so that it can have time to settle out, your first pull may get sediment but if it's settled the next ones will get clearer.

Thanks for the advice!! here is what I came up with to minimize rolling and shaking.

Keg Carrier.jpg

Hey,

I was searching this topic and came across this thread. I know it's a few months old. But, how did it go?

The reason that I ask is because I just transported my first keg about 2 hrs for a Christmas party and it didn't do so well. I transported it upright and secured with bungee cords in a cooler full of ice. I let it set for 2 or 3 hrs once we arrived but it was very cloudy and full of sediment.

I caught a glass coming out of the chilled secondary on the way to the keg and you could have read a newspaper through it. I brought the left overs home a put them in the fridge hopefully it will settle out in a day or two.

I wonder if the best method wouldn't be to let a chilled keg settle and draw off the first pint or two before disconnecting the lines and moving it? That should remove the sediment before it's ever moved.

Actually I think it would be better to chill, pull off the first pint/sediment. Then use a jumper (two black disconnects and tubing) to transer to a clean keg, then force-carbonate it there, then you'll have a keg with no sediment.

The problem with just pulling off the first pint is that you don't pull all the sedment out when you do that, instead you just pull it out from around the dip tube. This is evidenced by the fact that every keg I've cleaned has still had sediment in the bottom even though the beer was pouring clear.

Getnit
Thats killer! What a great idea.

I know this post is old but I just thought I would share what I do anyway.

I transfer kegs all the time. I would chill your keg COLD and pressure with about 20# of C02 for the trip, if its not totally carbed yet. It will be when you get to your destination. When you get there set the keg upright as soon as you can and about every 30 minutes pull about 1/3 pint (@ 30-40 psi) for about 2 hours then let settle for a good 2+ hours and pull your last 1/2 pint @ 40+ psi. This will suck most all the sediment and clean around the dip tube. I do this all the time.
Cheers
JJ

Latest posts

Back