Bitter Orange Peel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alz28

Reaction score
I just ordered two sacs of grain and a pound of East Kent Goldings to brew up a Wit beer. I was wanting to know if anyone knew a place to order bitter orange peels in bulk? I have a great place here in Houston to buy corriander at 35 cents a 10 gallon batch but the best deal on orange peels is 1.49 + tax. per ounce. Let me know what ya got fellas.

Dunno about 'true'. I think you'll find the most traditional ingredient is the dried peel.

The peel of Curaçao Oranges is actually green before it is dried; the skin doesn't ripen to orange. When dried, the peel actually looks mouldy, though it is not; it is greenish-greyish-blue on one side and white on the other.

By the 1600s, crops of bitter Seville Oranges had been established on Curaçao Island in the Caribbean. Though the trees there started from Seville Oranges, they have now been recognized as being slightly different and so have acquired their own botanical name: Citrus aurantium var. curassaviensis, or Aurantium amarae pericarpium.

If your LHBS stocks products distributed by L D Carlson, Bitter Orange Peel can be had in bulk. I'm sure you can make them a deal.

Bob

Thanks for all the help fellas. Looks like Northern Brew it is. I could go down to the LHBS and buy up what little they have on the shelf but I dont want to screw it up for a brewer who just decides to do a Wit that day and they are out of orange peels. Plus its about a 50 minute to hour and a half round trip to the HBSs here in Houston. I will order a pound now.
Thanks again

Please note that I wasn't recommending going to your LHBS and buying them out of stock. I was recommending going to your LHBS and saying something like, "I want a pound of bitter Curacao orange peel. What kind of deal can you give me?" ;)

The gang at NB are cool, too. Have fun!

I use valencia oranges. You can get these at a place like AJ's or any place that has a excellent selection of spices.

Valencia orange peels have an excellent orange flavor, like grand marnier.

Please note that I wasn't recommending going to your LHBS and buying them out of stock. I was recommending going to your LHBS and saying something like, "I want a pound of bitter Curacao orange peel. What kind of deal can you give me?" ;)

The gang at NB are cool, too. Have fun!

LOL. I know what you meant when you said to buy from my HBS in bulk. I know one stocks Brewers Garden and Im not sure they can get that in bulk. Now I have ordered from Austin Brew and it came in packaging that looks....I guess you could say somthing I can do at home. Next time Im at the LHBS Ill ask about bulk orange peels. For now my pound of orange peels should be here Wed the 26. It came out to $1.31 a ounce shipped to my door.

I use valencia oranges. You can get these at a place like AJ's or any place that has a excellent selection of spices.

Valencia orange peels have an excellent orange flavor, like grand marnier.

Ive thought of making my own like you mentioned. I have seen valencia oranges here in Texas before. I guess you just lay them out and let them air dry.

alz28 - No answer to your question, but WOW, that qualifies as go big or go home. I bow to you. :)

I figured 110 lbs of grain should get me seven 10 gal batches at 15.75 lbs per brew session. If I go with my original recipe of 18 lbs per 10 gallon batch it will only be six 10 gal batches. I have been over shooting my starting gravity so Im going to lower the grain bill 2.25 lbs and see what happens. And on top of that with 15.75 lbs of grain per batch I can squeez out that extra 7th batch.

I buy orange peel, lemon peel and coriander seed from my local whole foods store for 80
cents an oz. and flaked wheat for .79 a lb.I'd bet in Houston it would be even cheaper.

It's satsuma season around these parts. You might be able to get some in the Houston area. Just today I brewed a wit using satsuma peel. I bought a bag (maybe 10 or so good size in the bag) and ate them all. They were delicious. Anyways, I then took the peels and rubbed the back of them on a cheese grater to get the white stuff off the back, cooked them up in the oven for a few minutes, and them added them at flameout. Hopefully it will give me a nice, unique flavor. I'm contemplating adding some more satsuma peels and some cranberries after fermentation is done.

Back