New to soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajk170

Reaction score
Like many, I haven't tried the soda making, but I've read the threads and thought that it would be interesting to try- I didn't measure how much yeast I put into my three liters but it wasn't more than a half teaspoon.

Once you seal the bottle, can you re-open it and add a little more yeast to each bottle if after 5-6 days they are not rock hard? Do I risk ruining anything by opening these things up?

Thanks in advance!

Like many, I haven't tried the soda making, but I've read the threads and thought that it would be interesting to try- I didn't measure how much yeast I put into my three liters but it wasn't more than a half teaspoon.

Once you seal the bottle, can you re-open it and add a little more yeast to each bottle if after 5-6 days they are not rock hard? Do I risk ruining anything by opening these things up?

Thanks in advance!

No, if you open it, the only think you'll "ruin" is the level of carbonation that's already been acheived. 1/2 tsp should be plenty, though.

1/2 tsp should be great. How warm are you keeping these bottles? Are they exposed to cool temps at night or something similar?

What are you making BTW?

Welcome to a new habit!!!

1/2 tsp should be great. How warm are you keeping these bottles? Are they exposed to cool temps at night or something similar?

What are you making BTW?

Welcome to a new habit!!!

Right now I am making a green tea ginger ale- the wife loves the ones she gets in the store so I thought i cloud make a better one.

The bottles are at about 68 -70 degrees throughout the day and night.

Do you think I should keep them somewhere warmer?

Well thanks to all for the help on this- the bottles are almost ready to go the fridge -

I couldn't take the suspense any longer and opened one up this evening- I knew I had something when the bottle made a small "spfft" sound.

The overall falvor was strong of ginger- though my wife thought she tasted the yeast- and the green tea that I had steeped for about 5minutes diring the production didn't seem to come out at all. Nor did the orange extract or lemon seem to show anything either-

But, it has really only been 40 hours since I bottled these things so I would say these are still pretty "green" and as it conditions the falvors might show themselves more. :off:I even used the remaining 6ozs to see how they it works in a mix drink- I think it might not be bad but I used it mixed with 1 oz Cachaca (Brazilian sugar cane spirit- smells like tequila) and blue curacao . . . I won't be trying that again! Cachaca dominates everything it touches!

:off:I am going to start to work on a strawberry cream soda- but I have no idea how to make a cream soda- I guess I need to do a few searches!

Back