My First Force Carbonation..Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaserz28

Reaction score
I am sure I missed the thread on here about this subject so I will ask anyways. I just kegged my first beer since stepping out of bottling. This is step by step how I did it. The end product is very foamy.

I first put the beer in the Keg, Hooked up come C02 and purged a bit of air out of the keg. Unhooked the CO2 and than chilled the beer for 12 hours. After than I hooked up the CO2 with a PSI around 25, I rolled the keg around and shook it up for about 5-7 minutes. I unhooked the CO2 line again and let the beer sit in the fridge for another 12 hours. I just went to try my beer and it is SUPER FOAMY. Did I do something wrong?

Any advice on this subject would be appreciated.

Your beer line should be pretty long. There are a bunch of calculators out there that can help you find out how long yours should be. If you are serving your beer at 25 psi that would also explain it. Purge the excess pressure then serve at a lower psi like 5.

My beer line is 5 feet, and the beer is about 40 degrees. TO be honest I had no idea that the length of your beer line mattered, you live you learn.

My beer line is 5 feet, and the beer is about 40 degrees. TO be honest I had no idea that the length of your beer line mattered, you live you learn.

The problem is that you shook the beer which resulted in over carbonation. Your keg is like a shook up beer can. I normally hook up my keg to 30psi for 36 hours. I then purge and set to 8-12psi. The beer is normally perfect after 3-5 days, and I have 5ft lines with 38-40 degree beer also.

Yeah that makes sense about the keg being a big shaken beer can, I was just trying to follow how people force carb the keg for faster finishing of it. I will try it your way, I guess patience is well needed. Thank you for your info!

The problem wasn't that the keg was shaken, the problem is the keg was shaken with the regulator set too high. If the pressure had been set properly, the beer wouldn't end up overcarbed...

Cheers!

The problem wasn't that the keg was shaken, the problem is the keg was shaken with the regulator set too high. If the pressure had been set properly, the beer wouldn't end up overcarbed...

Cheers!

Ok so what PSI would you set the regulator when doing what I did?

If you want to chance over carbonation by shaking the keg be my guest. Just remember that when you over carb the keg it turns out to be a big waste of CO2 and a waste of time.

The problem is that you shook the beer which resulted in over carbonation. Your keg is like a shook up beer can. I normally hook up my keg to 30psi for 36 hours. I then purge and set to 8-12psi. The beer is normally perfect after 3-5 days, and I have 5ft lines with 38-40 degree beer also.
I do exactly the same thing. 5' lines as well. The first beer poured is a bit foamy because the taps are warm. After that, pours great.

Back