Why Wash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gannon

Reaction score
So instead of searching for hours though the forum I was hoping someone would explain the why i should or should not wash my yeast.

Thanks in advance for any info!!

The answer is obviously dependent on the person and what they are trying to accomplish or what works for them. If I'm going to repitch the yeast in 2-3 weeks, I don't wash it, I just pour it into a quart jar and put it in the fridge. Then I just take it out on brewday, decant, swirl, and pitch. If I want to save the strain but not use it for a while, I wash and make a starter when I use it.

I save my yeast slurry and reuse it in future batches to save money.

I actually don't wash my yeast to reduce the risk of contamination. The beer from unwashed slurry tastes great, although I don't keep the slurry around for too long after harvesting.

No offense, but if you don't feel like searching for the answer to this question, you are probably not prepared for the boring process of washing yeast. I would just keep re-using yeast like many other homebrewers have sucessfully done for years.

Washing yeast is easy and cheap. I can't believe I've been paying for new yeast for years. Just started about 6 months ago and couldn't be happier.

It depends upon how much "stuff" other than yeast is in the trub, and if you think that "stuff" will affect the flavor of the next batch.

I'm a BIAB brewer (at home) and get MOUNTAINS of trub. Still easy to separate the yeast from the break if you're doing it properly. The tutorial in the yeast/fermentation forum is top-notch! That "stuff" is coagulated protein and has no flavor. Professional brewers leave a portion in to provide nutrient for the fermenting yeast (during primary- whether this is science or "cookies for santa" superstition, I'm not sure).

That "stuff" is coagulated protein and has no flavor.

Much of the "stuff" is hops, and if you think that it has no flavor break off a little chunk of the ring on the inside of the bucket that the krausen left and taste it.

>>No offense, but if you don't feel like searching for the answer to this question, you are probably not prepared for the boring process of washing yeast. I would just keep re-using yeast like many other homebrewers have sucessfully done for years.

+1

Seriously, HBT is a FANTASTIC resource.
The search feature is very easy to use.

Take the time to read some of the old threads that answer your questions. I frequently learn something unrelated but interesting along the way. In addition, you will more likely get abroader response, rather than a point in time set of responses.

theredben said:
No offense, but if you don't feel like searching for the answer to this question, you are probably not prepared for the boring process of washing yeast. I would just keep re-using yeast like many other homebrewers have sucessfully done for years.

Yes offense. Try to find the answer before you post. Or if nothing else lie and say "I've been searching through the forum and can't quit find the answers I'm looking for." Lazy lazy. It's not like you have an immediate need for an answer like if you were smack dab in the middle of the boil.

daksin said:
whether this is science or "cookies for santa" superstition, I'm not sure).

Haha I'm gonna have to steal that.

Much of the "stuff" is hops, and if you think that it has no flavor break off a little chunk of the ring on the inside of the bucket that the krausen left and taste it.

I do put in some effort to make sure most of the hops are kept out of the fermentor, but the beers are never in primary that long so even if they were, it wouldn't be an issue for flavor.

I suppose it would have been more accurate to say the trub "contributes" no flavor rather than it has none. Coagulated protein, for the most part, is pretty flavorless, though of course it will be impregnated with copious amounts of yeast and beer, and will soak up a bit of bitterness from the hops as well.

Here's what a local brewery owner had to say about keeping and repitching slurry:

"We have a rule around here that no yeast gets used any longer than 4 days after being harvested. The viability (live vs. dead cell counts) and vitality (ability to ferment) are very low in yeast that have been stored longer than that at 1 C. Yeast that have been stored at higher than 1 c. And longer than 4 days with no available sugars to ferment will autolyse, giving off citric acid in the process. There will always be some yeast that will kick in and ferment once repitched, but the larger percentage of the yeast will be dead and create that lemonade and meaty/broth-like flavour."

Thanks for all the great responses. to those who are offended sorry for your luck. i spend a couple hours a night reading this forum and it has been a great help. why would i want to lie about searching for something when i can tell the truth an get the same, it not better results. most people are more than happy to freely give the knowledge the have obtained based on their experiences if you just ask them.

Back