Filtering Pliny the Elder clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglasbarbin

Reaction score
I have a Pliny the Elder clone that is in secondary right now and a few days into the first dry hop. I am dry-hopping with pellet hops, just loose in the carboy (no hop bag). I am thinking that since there is SO much hop particulate, I should probably keg this brew and then filter it, but I'm slightly worried that might cause it to lose some of the hoppy goodness. What do you guys think?

I've dry hoped with loose pellets before and had good luck with cold crashing for a couple days before racking to the keg. Most of the particles should end up falling out with the remaining yeast. I didn't notice any particles in my finished product, it actually turned out crystal clear on that one.

I dry hopped with just loose pellets like both of you, and cold crashed the carboy as well. I still got lots of hop flakes even a couple of weeks in the keg. I bottled it off the keg and just tried one last night after sitting in the fridge for a week, and it STILL had flakes in it. The beer itself is crystal clear, it just has flakes. The next time I make this, I will definitely find a way to contain the hops in the carboy. As for filtering, I have no experience, but I just kegged another IPA a few nights ago and used Gelatine, and am very happy with the results and will be using that method from now on.

For anything that is dry hopped with more than 1oz I have had good luck attaching a paint strainer to the end of the racking tube that is in the keg. I use a hose clamp to keep the bag on and it catches a nice amount of hop debris. Try to get the hose/bag against the bottom of the keg, just to minimize any chances of oxidation. As already mentioned, cold crashing helps quite a bit as well. Also, make sure you sanitize the hop bag and hose clamp.

The first big IPA I did had hops clog the poppet valve on the keg so badly that no beer was able to flow through it. After removing the liquid post for the fifth time I figured I should do something different on the next beer. I just did an IPA with one pound of hops, six ounces dry hopped, and have not had one noticeable flake in it.

I'm thinking I will do the paint strainer trick first, and see how that works. I might try naturally carbing it with sugar in the keg, and then filtering it after it has carbed for a couple of weeks. Depends how it looks after I rack it.

+1 on paint strainer bags. If I'm using a secondary I put the bag in my priming bucket. If I'm going directly from the primary I put the bag in the fermentor bucket. You'll still have a bit of a hop haze but you shouldn't see any flakes.

Latest posts

Back