Full Boil Brewing - Indoor. Need setup help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulshine

Reaction score
I am finishing my basement and setting up a 27 gallon stainless steel fermenter, kegging system, bar with taps ,etc. Has anyone finished a 'brew pub' like basement before? Any advice? Specifically how/what would you suggest I set up to be able to boil at least 10 gallons for partial boil (in my basement)? I'm not sure what indoor options there are to boil this type of volume. Thanks for any help!

1. what's your heat source? Propane is not a good idea indoors unless you REALLY ventilate. Natural gas or electric heat is ideal.

2. Ventilation! 10 gallons into primary means 12+ gallons at the start, so 2 gallons of water into the airspace of your basement. You may even want a dehumidifier to prevent any chance of mold due to high moisture down there.

Thanks a lot for the feeback! Good to know and much appreciated. Any other advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated as well. Anyone finish a basement and put together a brewing set up in their basement?

You can do all electric and use a heat stick to get your wort up to boil. It would probably be easier to split your boil into 2 batches with electric, but I'd still get a couple heat sticks since you'd be boiling two full 5 gal batches. I agree with a dehumidifier. I know what my kitchen looks like even with proper ventilation. Good luck!

I know moisture was mentioned, but really give that serious consideration. Brewing gives off serious moisture- I had a friend who brewed in his garage and his drywall tape lifted! He had to redo the drywall and then put a sealant on the wall.

I brew indoors, but not in the basement. I have a door that I open, a fan that I run to blow the steam outside, and a bathroom ceiling fan. Still my walls get pretty moist! If it was in my budget, I'd get a restaurant style exhaust fan over the boil kettle.

My brewery is all electric, so I don't have to worry about propane or gas exhaust.

Thanks again....I'll def have to take that into consideration and put some more thought into this plan.

I would love to be able to do the actual brewing in my basement but have not attemted the idea for the reasons already mentioned here. It all gets lugged back into the basement one 5 gallon bucket at a time to ferment. As Yooper mentioned, a large resteraunt style exhaust fan would be the first thing on my list

Back