Cleaning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slothrop

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to make my second batch and I cleaned out my primary fermenter which is an 'Ale Pail'. I let it soak for about 6 hours with Easy Clean and scrubbed with a soft sponge but the bucket still has a faint aroma from my previous brew.

Can that cause any problems with the new batch? Should I try another cleaning product?

I don't know what Easy Clean is. I use PBR [edit: d'oh! ... PBW]. Get it. It is good.

A faint aroma shouldn't cause any problems. That is normal.

Easy Clean is an Oxygen based cleaner that came with my brew kit. I've heard good things about PBW I'll probably try that after I run out of Easy Clean.

I've always used oxyclean followed by a very good rinse.

I've always noticed a slight hoppy aroma in all of my ale pales.

I've only done 2 batches in my plastic fermenter and it smells quite strongly already. And thats with some long soaks in oxiclean free. Just one of those things it seems.

I had a faint wheat odor in my Ale Pail after I soaked in Oxy for half a day, but after I took the lid off and let it air for a day, it faded. No worries. Brew on, chap.

Back