What to do about this disaster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxr

Reaction score
I woke up this morning and found that the fermentation lock on my carboy of Who's in the Garden Grand Cru had become clogged and the fermentation lock and bung were blown clean off of the carboy. Is there anything to be done at this point? I washed and sanitized the lock and re-attached it. I'm thinking that if bacteria fell into the carboy, they probably came to rest on the surface of the collapsed krausen head. I was thinking that maybe by racking into another carboy (using a cane) I could remove the still-sterile beer from below the suspected contaminant layer. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Max

The active fermentation that caused the blowoff probably kept any nasties out of your beer. Chances are it'll be just fine.
Racking to another carboy is just another opportunity for aeration and infection, just leave it be.
If it's still getting into the airlock hook up a blowoff tube.
RDWHAHB :)

Same thing happened to my Stone Ruination clone...dunno exactly how long the bung and airlock had been blown off but I just replaced it when I found it. Racked to the secondary today and it smells and tastes just how it should...no worries. :)

Thanks for your help everyone. I bottled the beer yesterday and it tasted delicious and untainted.

Back