How many bines per string?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jheist

Reaction score
Probably already been asked but I was looking around and didn't see anything.

Trained my first hop shoot up the twine and another one is coming up and will soon be big enough to begin training. Do people usually train only one bine per twine or 2-3?

You won't grow very many in the first year. Train them all. The second year, you'll want to cut the weaker bines and keep it to 6-10 bines per rhizome or 3-5 bines per rope.

2-3 per, there's a limit to what the roots can support. The pros used to run more, but most places today, it's one twine and 2-3 bines per plant.

Like Suthurn said, I trained all mine the first year (last year) to try and maximize the root production. This year I'm doing as david says keeping it to 2-3 per line. You can do as you like, either way they will grow just fine.

2nd year, I ran about 6 bines up one line per root head and cut the rest back. This year, year 3, I'm running 2 lines with 3 bines each per root head. The reason I chose 3 is in case I screw up and nick a bine or otherwise lose it in a storm..

Thanks for all the replies! I'll see what the plant wants to do but will probably end up with at least 2-3 bines per line.

Back