Is my grain F'd

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I plan to brew tomorrow I have grain that has been milled in a sealed bag from brewmasters. It's been about a month since I orderd...is this grain still ok to use?

I plan to brew tomorrow I have grain that has been milled in a sealed bag from brewmasters. It's been about a month since I orderd...is this grain still ok to use?

Should be all good, taste and smell it and if it seems off, get new grain. If it's been in the fridge or freezer, you're fine. Otherwise, do the taste/smell test. I don't like to let my grain rest more than 2 weeks when I do it myself but Ed sent me some milled grain before when I asked it to be unmilled (b/c I wasn't going to be around to brew for 2 months) and I ended up freezing it and putting it in a plastic tupperware container on top of that. I ended up using it as an experiment to save money and see how it'd turn out. It was fine. Plus, Ed seals those bags quite well. You should be good regardless. Go with it, breh.

I've used an already crushed kit from Brewmasters Warehouse that was over a month old... hit about 80% efficiency, you're fine.

I've read a lot of posts online that says that these grains are now stale. I've read a lot of other stuff online that is not 100% true too.

These month old grains will be fine. I've stored uncrushed grains longer than that in a brown paper bag in my brew closet longer than a month.

I got grain from Ed that was milled my fault I didn't hit the unmilled option used to 2 month later . I tasted it before I used it and not a hint of stale/off flavor

These month old grains will be fine. I've stored uncrushed grains longer than that in a brown paper bag in my brew closet longer than a month.

As long as the humidity is low and the temp reasonable whole grain will last for a long time .. Right now and until the next harvest the grain we buy is from last years harvest

Back