Garage Google Sketchup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Picobrew

Biscuit Enthusiast
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have a google sketchup file that they have built for their garage? I would like something I can use as a startiing point. I need to plan a dramatic garage re-org and this is the route I want to take.

I think it will be more difficult to modify an existing garage than to start a new one. You can search the 3d warehouse for components, or ask here.

I have my whole house in sketchup. It is very useful for planning.

For some inspiration, here is my basement. Including all my power tools.

Basement_I.png

Not sure this is the greatest place to put it, but THE Donkey Sniffer's google sketch ups are famous! I was google image searching brewery equipment just to oogle the pictures late one night and there it was! Kind of neat.

I am going to have to give it a try.

The big aha moment for me with sketchup was grouping and layers. If you want to add objects to adjoining objects, but want to keep them completely separate and non dependent, they have to be different groups. Putting different groups on different layers just makes them easier to hide and restore.

Draw your slab and pull it up 4" to give it a top surface. Group it. Put it on a "floor" layer.
Draw your walls by tracing the slab then offsetting. Raise those to whatever your ceiling height is. Hide the slab, select everything left and group that. Put them on the walls layer.

I think you get the idea.

Now, if you want to modify a group, like cutting a hole in the walls for the doors, you want to double click on the walls to edit the group.

The big aha moment for me with sketchup was grouping and layers. If you want to add objects to adjoining objects, but want to keep them completely separate and non dependent, they have to be different groups. Putting different groups on different layers just makes them easier to hide and restore.
Aha! Thanks for posting that. I've never been able to figure that out - I so used to working with ACAD and sketchup's layers/groups/components is kinda counterintuitive.

Back