Recipe wanted: Samuel Smith's Pale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corncob

Reaction score
I am looking for an extract/partial recipe for a Yorkshire-style English Pale Ale. Copper-to-orange, very full body, creamy head, fruity-estery-(buttery), with balanced hoppiness and a dry dry finish. I *believe* I have exhausted the search function. Anyone?

Try and lay your hands on a copy of the magazine Brew Your Own that has 150 Classic Clone Recipes. On page 32 it has a recipe for Samuel Smith's India Ale with the following description: "India Ale is an amber ale with an explosive hop aroma and a deep, long, buttery malt favor."

I'd copy it here but don't know if would be prohibited or not.

Good luck!

I'm not talking about an IPA--I'm talking about something like Sam Smith's "organic" or "old brewery" pale ale.

I know it's not the same but was a suggestion to try and get you where you want to be. Try contacting member "hcarter". Their profile "in primary" has listed what you're looking for.

Good luck.

A lot of the characteristic flavor of Samuel Smith's ales has to do with using the right yeast. Ringwood is about the only widely-available yeast that'll give you the right flavor profile.

You're looking to brew an amber ale about 5%ABV. Basically, just keep the grist simple - UK pale malt, UK 'medium' crystal malt. Bitter with something neutral, finish with Goldings.

That's my take on it. It's a classic!

Bob

Not my recipe, but a very good one. "Heritage Pale Ale"

O.G. 1.048
25 Liter Batch
4.3 kg Marris Otter
0.2 kg British Crystal 60

11 L Mash strike 72 C, Grist Heat 32 C
Initial Rest 66-67 C
Rest 90 Minutes
Sparge with 22 L at 76 C

45 IBU First Gold at 90 min (22% utilization)
20 grams Styrian Goldings, Hot Soak for 15 minutes
1.5 g Irish Moss in at 10 minutes

Ferment with Wyeast 1968 at about 18 C
rack at 1.015
done at 1.012
4.6% ABV

Taken from John Alexander

Thanks. I think I can more or less convert that to an extract brew. We'll see.

OP was a while back, but thought it worthwhile posting this.

Popular beer in my line-up. Very simple recipe, nice complex ale for such low gravity. Check the notes.

Cheers,

Screwy

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Samuel Smiths Old Brewery Bitter
Style: Standard/Ordinary Bitter
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.20 gal
Estimated OG: 1.037 SG
Estimated Color: 13.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 28.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.30 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (TF) (5.9 EBC) Grain 90.85 %
0.63 lb Crystal Malt Med (118.2 EBC) Grain 9.15 %
0.80 oz Fuggle 2006 [4.50 %] (90 min) Hops 13.5 IBU
0.80 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (90 min) Hops 15.0 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule:
Total Grain Weight: 6.93 lb
----------------------------
English Bitter Mash

75 min Saccharification 150.8 F
10 min Mash Out 170.6 F

Notes:
Remove 2 pints of unhopped wort once all runnings are in the kettle but before adding hops. Reduce this wort over high heat to 1/3rd pint and add back to the kettle during the boil

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That recipe will get you very close in flavor. I did something similar, using Halcyon pale malt and White Labs 037 Yorkshire Square Ale yeast but split the crystal in half with torrified wheat. Compared to the commercial version (USA) I felt mine was thinner and lacked the creamy smooth mouthfeel and malty aroma. If you can, get Thomas Fawcett malts (I didn't), they are based out of West Yorkshire and might be what the brewery uses.

AHS has a Sam Smith OB Pale Ale clone--we have this in secondary right now (although we also used WLP037). I can't say how close the kit comes because we've never tried it before. However, their kits are normally very good, and it would be a nice place to get started, at least.

Here it is:

AHS Sam Smith's Pale Ale Kit

That recipe will get you very close in flavor. I did something similar, using Halcyon pale malt and White Labs 037 Yorkshire Square Ale yeast but split the crystal in half with torrified wheat. Compared to the commercial version (USA) I felt mine was thinner and lacked the creamy smooth mouthfeel and malty aroma. If you can, get Thomas Fawcett malts (I didn't), they are based out of West Yorkshire and might be what the brewery uses.

TF Malts are readily avail here (AU) and their floor malted malts are good for this style. Drinkers rarely pick it for a 3.25ABV beer. So typically English, subtle flavours that have your palate searching around trying to identify them, with good body and mouthfeel from the combination of malt, mash temp, and low attenuating yeast. W1469PC or WL037 for authenticity. First time I brewed this recipe I split the batch and used Saf S-04 and Nottingham as the Yorkshire strains were not available at the time. Nottingham is more attenuative but had a more malty flavour than the 04, I stayed with it as the results were good and I have around half of a 500 gram (bit over a pound) block still to use up. Give it a further week on the yeast after fermentation has ceased, Nottingham can be a little dusty until the ale has aged for a few weeks.

Cheers,

Screwy

Just had the commercial version this evening and it was maltilicious. Love those English malts!

Latest posts

Back