First Brew Fermenting...What Next???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
Well, I had a terrific time brewing my first batch yesterday! I used a pale ale extract recipe recommended from the LHBS, and as of this morning it is bubbling away happily with 2 inches of krausen :) . So now while I wait to bottle this batch, I have some time to kill and I'm thinking about my next recipe.

I think I want to brew up an american-style wheat beer, or maybe even an IPA. I think a wheat would be better since SWMBO likes those and is wondering why the hell I dropped $200 on a home brew kit! I've seen a couple recipes out there and I'd like to brew one that has some obvious citrus notes. Any suggestions?

Blender said:
There are lots of recipes in the database. Check them out as I am pretty sure you can find one acceptable. >> https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Wow, the first one in the list...Citrus Weizen looks good! I currently don't use or even have a secondary fermenter. From what I hear, you aren't supposed to use a clearing vessel for wheats anyway. If I ferment this in the primary for 2-3weeks at 65F would that be acceptable and produce the correct flavors for a wheat beer?

TwoHeadsBrewing said:
Wow, the first one in the list...Citrus Weizen looks good! I currently don't use or even have a secondary fermenter. From what I hear, you aren't supposed to use a clearing vessel for wheats anyway. If I ferment this in the primary for 2-3weeks at 65F would that be acceptable and produce the correct flavors for a wheat beer?
Yep, I saw that it may be what you were looking for. I am not a big fan of wheats but 2 to 3 weeks should work fine.

Ed's Haus Pale would be good, too. 'Course not many people have brewed that one around here.

Kayos said:
Ed's Haus Pale would be good, too. 'Course not many people have brewed that one around here.

I was looking at that and it sounds good, but I don't have the equipment to do AG or partial mash. I think I'll go AG someday, but I'm going to have to make some damn good beer before SWMBO would go for another $400-500 on brewing equipment.

Kayos said:

I was looking at that and it sounds good, but I don't have the equipment to do AG or partial mash. I think I'll go AG someday, but I'm going to have to make some damn good beer before SWMBO would go for another $400-500 on brewing equipment.

Just get some ingredients and brew something. From experience I've learned that if you wait to make more, you'll become frustrated after your first is gone. You'll be proud of it and give away a bottle here, a couple there. The neighbor, co-workers..........everyone is curious!!! Just get something else simple going. My first batch after four years out of brewing will be transferred to secondary tomorrow, and I'm detirmined this time to keep the hobby going and the beer coming. I got stuff tonight for an amber, which I'll brew after work tomorrow and put on the cake from the APA. Later this week I'll order stuff for a hefe, and next week I'll have every fermenting vessel I own (one 6.5 plastic primary and two 5 gal. secondarys) full of beer. Once I get a 6.5 carboy with blowoff and stuff to make starters I'm going big!! I love big IPAs and belgian dubbel/trippels. I don't see mashing in my furture, as space is at a premium here on the lake, but you never know. The wife is telling me she wants to build me a pole-barn with heat, a work area for vehicles, a kitchen for brewing , sleeping quarters, bathroom....etc....etc.. Not sure how to take it but at least I'll be able to make beer:mug:

Wish I had enough space in my place for a brew-barn!!!

Question for you about re-using the yeast cake: I plan on bottling from my primary in about 2-3 weeks. Maybe a day or so after, I'll be ready to fill it up again and I'd like to reuse the yeast. Are you saying I can just dump the wort right on top of the spent yeast? Or do I need to clean out the carboy, and get the spent yeast into some sort of storage container while I clean? I've heard people talk about re-using their yeast, but am not sure of the procedure.

Back