Anyone tried this timer in their CP?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangrr4834

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am hoping to find someone who can compare the Auber JSL-71 (which may be a new timer to compete with Omega) with the Omega PTC-21 that Kal used in his build.

Here is a link to the timer:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=290

Please note that this is not the same Auber timer mentioned in Kal's site (that was the Auber ASL-51)

For the $42, it is way cheaper and I am hoping it will have all the same functions and easy programming as the Omega

Did you ever get a response from anyone? I like the look of the Auber JSL-71, but I know very little about wiring and would be lost trying to figure out how to wire it the same as the PTC-21.

I went against Kal's recommendation and got the ASL-51 and am not too fond of it. Thinking abut getting the 71 and giving it a whirl.

It wont be for some time, just make sure you stay away from the 51. I'm sure myself and others could help with the wiring of the 71. Go for it!

You know I found a JSL-71 wiring diagram on 'the electric brewery' forums...not sure how I missed it before. Just ordered it from Auber!

What is the reasoning for using a mounted timer versus a much less expensive kitchen timer you can stick anywhere?

orangehero said:
What is the reasoning for using a mounted timer versus a much less expensive kitchen timer you can stick anywhere?

I'm asking myself the same question. Aesthetics seems the only real answer to me: a 1/16 DIN style timer next to a couple PIDs just looks better than a cheapie stick-on timer...but $40+ better??
I can brew almost a whole barrel at that cost. Or am I missing something?

Just adds to the professional look of the whole system. $39 is certainly far better than the $195 Omega PTC-21.

Did you ever get a response from anyone? I like the look of the Auber JSL-71, but I know very little about wiring and would be lost trying to figure out how to wire it the same as the PTC-21.

I went with the Sestos B2E and am quite pleased with it so far. I don't recall the cost but I bought it on amazon for I think around $27. It has the same four buttons as the Omega timer and wiring instructions can be found on this site.

i picked up the JSL-71 and the timers can be set to count up or down and trigger a relay and/or be tripped, but the timers are tied together. If you switch from timer 1 to timer 2, the timer resets. Totally different from kitchen timers that can time 2 different events, be paused, and then continue counting. I'd prefer a dual kitchen counter ;?)

I also have a kitchen timer. It's magnetized and I just stick it on the keezer I use for a fermentation chamber. I think it was $25. Works great and I don't think it really changes the aesthetics of the brewery area or anything. For myself, I bought a pretty sizable control panel, but it's gotten full over time as I've added contactors and PIDs and selector switches and whatnot. Kitchen timer works for me. But hey, to each his own.

The only bonus to my asl 51 is I got to add more switches to my panel for reset and pause functions. Looks boss.

I finally went with the Sestos 2BE in my control panel too, and at about $24 I'm quite happy with it.

Can you set the twin timers independently? Can it be done with a reset switch? I'm thinking both up & down?

Thanks,
KY Dan
LAGERS/FOSSILS

Back