Carrot wine is delicious!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jensmith said:
Leave raisons in fermentor. Just strain out most of the carrot chunks. No need to boil the shuger, but it will not hurt either. I prefure white suger over brown. Cleaner flavor. Brown suger leaves its own flavore. If you like it use it.

Great thanks. I'm making this today.

Just boiled this up today and the sample tastes amazing. I used Montrachet because that's what I had on hand. I boiled up the carrots for 20min. I then strained into a pot and brought to a boil with sugar, raisins, and spices. Once it started to boil, I turned off the heat and let it sit. I poured all including raisins into a pail and pitched yeast at 68F. Just based on the taste before pitching, I think a 5 gallon batch is coming real soon.

CreamyGoodness said:
Honestly I omitted this time. Everything I make seems to have cinnamon in it, I thought I would opt out and see if the carrot shines through...

I'm going to do up a one gallon batch of carrot wine. It sounds like you have used these spices on multiple occasions, so may I ask how much nutmeg / cinnamon would you suggest to -lightly- spice a carrot wine?

I started a gallon of carrot wine last fall. Unfortunately, I accidentally knocked over two bottles right after bottling and broke them. But I've got two bottles left. Right after fermentation, it actually tasted okay, then it got terrible as it aged, but it was tasting better when I bottled it. I'm going to let it age 6 more months, then crack one open.

Ok we are almost exactly 2 months in and the ferment seems to be done. I havent taken a gravity and likely wont until I am ready to bottle (you lose volume off 1 gallon each reading). It is pretty brown, not clear. I'm not sure if I should give it time like JAOM, cold crash and gelatin, or go the sparkaloid route... any input?

CreamyGoodness said:
Ok we are almost exactly 2 months in and the ferment seems to be done. I havent taken a gravity and likely wont until I am ready to bottle (you lose volume off 1 gallon each reading). It is pretty brown, not clear. I'm not sure if I should give it time like JAOM, cold crash and gelatin, or go the sparkaloid route... any input?

This sounded cool, so and I decided to jump in. My first wine ever, thus no input on your question. I am 10 days into this 2 gal batch, and reading how wild your initial ferment was, I did this in a 5 gal vessel. Glad I did!

* 7 pounds carrots
* 1.25 pound raisins chopped
* 10 cups granulated sugar
* 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient/ energizer
* Rind of 3 oranges, grated fresh
* 1 12oz can frozen OJ
* 1/2 teaspoon tannin
* 2 campden tablets
* 1 Lalvin 1116
* 2+ gallons water

Stirred / swirled daily first 4 days. Racked off of the solids on day 7. Well, most of 'em - Lotsa solids in this batch. Went from 1.1 to 1.022 in that first week, and is still bubbling slow & steady. Beautiful cloudy yellow / orange, awesome carroty smell. Tastes alcohol hot, but it's early to judge. This recipe has some old school directions on adjusting dryness / sweetness. It says rack periodically for a dry, and for a sweet or semi to add 1/2 cup sugar every 6 weeks until yeast quits and sweetness is where you want it. While this would surely work, I'm looking at the alcohol tolerance of the 1116 and wondering how and when to put the brakes on so I end up with a semi that doesn't have the octane of napalm. I'll figure it out before the next rack.

Plz keep us briefed on how yours is coming along.

Made 1.6 gallon of this about 2 weeks ago.

*5 lbs. carrots
*1 lbs. raisings
*1 black tea bag for tannins (sipped in the boiled worth )
*4 lbs. of sugar ( wanted a more dessert wine )
* Bread Yeast (I know =x )
* Water to 1.6 Gallon ( 6 liters )

Got the water boiling with the carrots inside and cooked for 30minutes. Strained out all the carrots (made about 6 cakes with it ) put in the sugar, raisings and black tea bag. After cooling, tossed the tea bag and put in carboy.

Took a sample before pitching yeast, was REALLY good.

Was too curious to wait 3 more weeks before my brewing yeast comes :\ (Really hard to find brewing yeast in Brazil for a Fair Price, 10 U$+ for a single placket here ) So I had to order it online =x

By next Friday should have a lot of D-47 and others brewing stuff. Will make the same recipe for comparison ^^

This stuff really came into its own with a couple months in the fridge (long story). Its more of a brownish orange than an orange. The day before his wedding last week I almost killed one of the grooms with this stuff (bad Creamy), and the wedding party cleared the gallon right out. I'm gearing up to make another batch toot-sweet.

Is there any reason I cant use, say, Nottingham if thats what I have laying around?

Id say the last portion was 6 months yes. It needs a little time before its really ready to roll.

But then... I've only brewed one gallon so far :)

Made a batch of this last night

5 lbs Carrots Grated
1 lb Brown sugar
5 oz corn sugar
2 lbs raisins
2 packets monotrachet.
boiled carrots for 15 minutes and drained hydrometer said 1.000. So I added the sugar now I boiled again another 20 minutes. Ended up with OG 1.030 this is before the raisins. Rack on 2lbs of raisins. My question is do carrots have any sugars or did I just not boil long enough.

cpesko said:
Made a batch of this last night 5 lbs Carrots Grated 1 lb Brown sugar 5 oz corn sugar 2 lbs raisins 2 packets monotrachet. boiled carrots for 15 minutes and drained hydrometer said 1.000. So I added the sugar now I boiled again another 20 minutes. Ended up with OG 1.030 this is before the raisins. Rack on 2lbs of raisins. My question is do carrots have any sugars or did I just not boil long enough.

I heard that boiling any fruit or vegetable isn't optimal for wine making. Did the recipe say to boil them, or call to pour boiling water over them in your primary?

I just bottled, and holy crap. I was skeptical, but this came out tasty!

4 lbs carrots, (grated and boiled in one gallon of water. I just poured the carrot water through a strainer onto the raisins)
2 lbs brown sugar
a little cinnamon and nutmeg
1 lb thompson raisins
lalvin d47

No secondary
yield = 1 gallon

Ended up pretty dry. And strong. I'm on an empty stomach, but I poured myself a pint of this while bottling, and I feel it. yeayeah!

I'm glad this came out good, 'cause I started a five gallon batch a few days ago based on the smell of the one gallon batch. Ha!
I can't wait to see how it ages.

This is OP original post.

And speaking of weird soup, my girl made some bell pepper soup that was freaking great. Very similar to tomato.
I wonder how bell peppers would fare as booze.

I dont know how bell peppers would be but i made a pepper wine out of 3 different kinds of peppers cayenne cowhorn and carmen that turned out pretty good but it has lost alot of its pepper heat from age.

Has anyone tried the carrot wine using carrot juice from a juicer instead of boiling/straining?

I don't know if I'd end up with a weaker carrot taste or stronger if I used carrot juice -- thoughts?

orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ... use the juicer to get juice and then lightly boil the "carrot guts" and add to must in a strainer baggie???

10 litres of my carrot wine made from fresh juice. Well into secondary stage now. Waiting for it to clear.

Day 07.jpg

hmm i wonder how it turned out in the end anyone taste Carrot Wine after it aged to be honest i love carrot i can east 2kg non stop hahaha.

so wonder how is the taste of carrot wine :cross:

hmm i wonder how it turned out in the end anyone taste Carrot Wine after it aged to be honest i love carrot i can east 2kg non stop hahaha.

so wonder how is the taste of carrot wine :cross:

My gallon I started on 2014-01-24 turned out quite nice. It is tart and has a decent oder of carrot. As a whole, the flavor is strange but not unpleasent. It is also thick (very heavy body) despite being dry and 13% ABV.

Not my favorite, but pleasent enough to make more.

as carrot lover specially with your quote encourage me to try it :tank:
i might add little bit tannin or soak it with oak chips see if improve that strange part you mentioned

My gallon I started on 2014-01-24 turned out quite nice. It is tart and has a decent oder of carrot. As a whole, the flavor is strange but not unpleasent. It is also thick (very heavy body) despite being dry and 13% ABV.

Not my favorite, but pleasent enough to make more.

Can I simply use organic carrot juice? It isn't any different really than any other juiced wines I have done.

Thanks, just what I needed. I don't plan on heating the juice though.

Back