Airlock Bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_horno

Reaction score
I know bubbles are not a sign of fermentation, however if I have had a beer in a primary for three weeks, then i cold crashed it after taking a FG and hitting 1.010 and the airlock is still bubbling, what does this mean? Ive already bottled as FG was stable, I just find this curious.

It means your airlock is bubbling.....Gas expands and contracts due to all manner of things, temp swings (you cold crashed, now it is warmer) changes in atmospheric pressure, or gas gets released from the trub layer due to traffic rumbling on the road, the vacuum cleaner going, the dog trying to hump the fermenter....That's WHY we tell you that airlock activity isn't a good indicator of whether or not you have fermentation . Because SO MANY other things can cause airlocks to start AND stop....That's why I basically say, ignore your airlock....

Back