IIPA Water Adjustment Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
OK, I have a DIPA (IIPA) planned next. About 100 IBUs and a 27 SRM.

Wards Lab Water Profile:

Ca=<1
Mg=<1
HCO3=166
SO4-S=3
CaCO3=3
Cl=5
Na=80
Total Alkalinity=151
pH=8.5

Plan to dilute 1:1 with distilled water to start.

Total Mash Volume 5.3 gal
Sparge (Batch) Volume 5.0 gal

I've read the chapters in Palmer's book, and Daniel's book and the Bru 'n Water document and played around with the Palmer spreadsheet and the Bru 'n Water spreadsheet. While I THINK I understand some of it, I was wondering if someone with water adjustment knowledge might give me their thoughts on what I should do.

Right now, I have gypsum, CaCl (liquid currently), and phosphoric acid (10%) on hand.

I'll run my numbers thru the spreadsheets and see if I come close.

Thanks for any help I can get!

It looks like water softener water, but its not crazy high in Na. The alkalinity certainly has to be neutralized to some degree. Excepting for those outliers, its pretty pure water.

The dilution is a decent idea. I like a small amount of Na in my beers. Try it and decide if you do to. 40 ppm is OK. Of course you will have to boost the Ca and SO4 for a good IPA. You will need the drying effect of the SO4.

Our water is apparently softened at the treatment facility.

What do you recommend for the SO4? Seems like I read there is a certain ratio of SO4 to Ca that works better for hoppy brews.

Our water is apparently softened at the treatment facility.

What do you recommend for the SO4? Seems like I read there is a certain ratio of SO4 to Ca that works better for hoppy brews.

Follow the link in his sig for the Bru'nWater spreadsheet. There you can choose the pale ale profile and adjust accordingly. Its a great spreadsheet and looks to be a necessity (IMO) if modifying your water profile. I've been playing around with it the past few days myself.

Make sure to read the Water Knowledge section of the site too and you can also listen to the Water Chemistry podcasts of Brew Strong for a quick primer.

EDIT: wow, I completely missed the part where you already played around with Brunwater. Did you make any adjustments and brew? If so, you'll have to update on how it turns out!

Back