Quick help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAbs

Reaction score
I'm currently in my garage at school watching duck dynasty while my wort boils. I had put 3 gallons in my 22qt pot and am wondering if it's ok if I put and ass load of ice/cold tap water (2 gallons worth) into the wort to cool it down before pouring into the fermenter.

Sounds ok to me. As long as you got a good boil, and the ass load of cold stuff was enough to get it down to below 70 degrees or so before you pitch the yeast. Just make sure your temperature is low enough for the yeast you used.

Unless, of course, you overchill that sucker. Why not just put cool water in after giving it an ice bath? Then you can at least control the final temp.

Thing is, I can't drive legally to go get some ice. So I have to empty my icebox with cold water into my wort. That's my best option. I just need to know that's A ok.

Yes. Or you could put the water in the fermenter and then add the wort. Makes no difference but will be easier to handle the 3 gallons instead of the full 5 going into the fermenter.

So folks, I can dump my wort into the fermenting bucket and then add my ice/cold tab water and be good?

Yep. Just make sure it's all mixed and at the proper temp before pitching the yeast. I added my wort on top of cold water, mixed it, pitched the yeast and it's bubbling away just fine.

Back