Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take it back. After a few more days I took another sample. Down to 1.024 now but I'm tasting some things: alcohol, bitterness, too much coffee. So now I see why it needs to sit for a while.

I just brewed this on Friday I can't wait for it to finish. I kept to the original DME recipe but I used 1 full oz of magnums in a 4.75 gal boil because, lets face it, I like hops.

I used Wyeast 1028 london ale. OG was 1.060.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Going to brew this for the second time next week.
First time was awesome but I am looking for a bit more chocolate.
Has anyone tried adding cocoa power at flame out?

What temperature are you steeping the grains at. I am so excited about this that I went out and bought a new carboy!

So this is my second beer i am brewing and I am a big dummy because i forgot to do an OG reading before I added the yeast. I am assuming it is not worth it to disturb the fermentation for a reading. It seems like the average OG was somewhere around 1.06. So I think I am jut gonna go with that to calculate the abv in the end. Do you all think this makes sense or is there something else I should do?

mikecshultz said:
So this is my second beer i am brewing and I am a big dummy because i forgot to do an OG reading before I added the yeast. I am assuming it is not worth it to disturb the fermentation for a reading. It seems like the average OG was somewhere around 1.06. So I think I am jut gonna go with that to calculate the abv in the end. Do you all think this makes sense or is there something else I should do?

Did you do all grain or extract? If extract it would be very easy to figure the OG by the amount of extract and water. All grain your extraction can vary dependent on the efficiency of your system. Either way it is only for your own edification knowing the ABV on a homebrew.

res291que said:
Did you do all grain or extract? If extract it would be very easy to figure the OG by the amount of extract and water. All grain your extraction can vary dependent on the efficiency of your system. Either way it is only for your own edification knowing the ABV on a homebrew.

I did the extract. 5 gal brew. How do I calculate the OG with that info?

Hey I am new to brewing but want to try this one next. What do you think aobut adding briess victory to the recipe? Good idea or disaster? Whats your recommendation on yeast strain since i cant seem to find Dennys favorite wyeast?

Brewed this last night, dark as the night!
looks great though... checked the airlock this am, bubbling away :)

OG 1.060 pitched with a starter of Wyeast 1028....

How much priming sugar do you guys generally use for this? From what I read about 3 ounces or so? Since Carbonation is low...

looking forward to this...

I used Irish Moss in this... man what a difference!! a TON of trub in the kettle!! and still some in suspension in the wort... I am guessing it will settle out in the fermentor?

Word of advice: Just go ahead and start with a blowoff tube instead of an airlock. This thing has a very violent fermentation. I fermented in a 6.5 gal carboy and still had krausen pouring out of the blow off tube for over 48 hours.

Just had one of my last remaining. Bottled on August 8, really is getting better.

Lots of posts in thread, but has anyone tried to up the abv and make this more of an imperial stout? I don't know how it would scale, but based on the one I just drank, it's basically just asking to be done.

Word of advice: Just go ahead and start with a blowoff tube instead of an airlock. This thing has a very violent fermentation. I fermented in a 6.5 gal carboy and still had krausen pouring out of the blow off tube for over 48 hours.

I see what you mean!!! not quite 24hrs and its getting stronger it seems...

stout.png

Yep! My airlock clogged up within 24hrs, I think I caught it just in time to prevent a huge disaster.

Yep! My airlock clogged up within 24hrs, I think I caught it just in time to prevent a huge disaster.

Wish I would have read the last few pages of this thread instead of the first few pages! Just found my lid blown off of my bucket :( Hoping that it hasn't been open for too long. Checked it yesterday afternoon and it seemed to have slow and steady bubbling. Definitely picked up overnight!!!

I added 10 oz of toasted coconut in the secondary and used WLP 001 for yeast. Kegged and started drinking at only 4 days after kegging. It was the best stout I ever had. The women liked it too! (prolly had something to do with the coconut). Anyways, perfectly balanced is my feedback. I'll be doing a 10 gallon batch of this next because I'm bummed that I'm just about on empty.

Just kegged the all grain version. Drank all of my hydro sample. Yeah, it's good! :rockin:

I think this one will be on tap almost all the time. I may play with adding baking chocolate and/or coffee beans in the future. Not that it needs either, I just can't seem to brew the same beer twice :mug:

Just kegged the all grain version. Drank all of my hydro sample. Yeah, it's good! :rockin:

I think this one will be on tap almost all the time. I may play with adding baking chocolate and/or coffee beans in the future. Not that it needs either, I just can't seem to brew the same beer twice :mug:

I LOVE this stout. And I'm just finishing up a very good chocolate stout that I keep thinking about switching up and using this recipe and the bakers chocolate to have it be a bit sweeter. Good Idea. :tank:

After reading this thread, I had to try it. Brewed today and my numbers look pretty good. My only mistake was with the yeast nutrient. i used it for the first time because of what i read in this thread, but my LHBS sells individual capsules of White Labs Servomyces from a larger package they purchased and i didnt have the instructions. When it came time to add it, I just chucked the whole capsule in, assuming it would dissolve. After five minutes of watching it roll around in my boil, I fetched it out (ouch!) and tried to get as much out of the capsule as possible. Minor mistake, but thought I'd share.

Started at 1.060 and used WLP001. No noticeable activity after 6 hours, but I won't worry until tomorrow. Can't wait to try it! You guys sold it well :)

This is only my third batch of home brew and I was wondering why the rec is to keep it in the primary so long. I've been told that using a secondary is necessary to reduce the chance of "off flavors" in the final product, but I don't have enough experience to validate this. Thoughts?

Dabbers said:
This is only my third batch of home brew and I was wondering why the rec is to keep it in the primary so long. I've been told that using a secondary is necessary to reduce the chance of "off flavors" in the final product, but I don't have enough experience to validate this. Thoughts?

Many people have gone away from the use of secondary fermenters and keep it in the primary a little longer. This helps reduce oxidation and contamination. The "off flavor" you were told about is called autolysis which is the breaking down of dead yeast cells. In my experience it takes a very long time for this to occur, I have had some beers in the primary for 6 weeks with no off flavors. However, if you are going to let this set in the fermenter for more than a couple weeks, I would consider a secondary. Just my two cents worth.

res291que said:
Many people have gone away from the use of secondary fermenters and keep it in the primary a little longer. This helps reduce oxidation and contamination. The "off flavor" you were told about is called autolysis which is the breaking down of dead yeast cells. In my experience it takes a very long time for this to occur, I have had some beers in the primary for 6 weeks with no off flavors. However, if you are going to let this set in the fermenter for more than a couple weeks, I would consider a secondary. Just my two cents worth.

Thanks for the response! This helps a lot and a search on autolysis was very helpful. Cin cin!

Dabbers said:
Thanks for the response! This helps a lot and a search on autolysis was very helpful. Cin cin!

My super simple rule for primary/secondary use:

If the beer is dark enough to not notice slight haze, NO secondary.

If the beer is fermenting longer than 1month, secondary.

If it is being dry hopped, secondary.

I have not experienced any problems either way yet. But, I like to K.I.S.S. ;)

I just brewed this beer yesterday, with a couple of small tweaks - added 1lb of flaked oats, and used Wyeast 1084.

Really looking forward to having a nice cream stout for this winter. Appreciate OP posting the recipe.

I just brewed this beer yesterday, with a couple of small tweaks - added 1lb of flaked oats, and used Wyeast 1084.

Really looking forward to having a nice cream stout for this winter. Appreciate OP posting the recipe.

That sounds like a nice addition and will probably lend a great mouth feel quality to it. Post the results soon ;-)

I just made a batch tonight. So far everything came out great. Started water on stove at 9:32 pm. Was in my closet ready to go at 2:54 am.

I was only able to make 1.6 liters of yeast for this last night, will that be enough of a yeast starter? I am using the 1450 yeast. MY 2 liter erlenmeyer may not be big enough.

This is my first time using liquid yeast and have only used dry yeast so far. Otherwise, everything is pretty much as per the recipe. Is fermax an appropriate yeast nutrient? That is what I had on hand.

Anyways, the grains smelled amazing, and the creaminess was already apparent when I tasted it. I have high hopes on this one. My house smelled awesome tonight. Now I will try my best to control temps in a water bucket for the next few weeks. I will be out of town for three days this weekend also.

rideincircles said:
I was only able to make 1.6 liters of yeast for this last night, will that be enough of a yeast starter? I am using the 1450 yeast. MY 2 liter erlenmeyer may not be big enough.

I thought about a starter on this one because of the OG, but just used a single White Labs vile and had a strong fermentation going in less than 12 hours. I think you'll be fine, but your 1.6L starter certainly won't hurt!

image-3931465422.jpg

My fermentation is currently really slow. I shouldn't have added ice to the water bath this morning before work, it is now at 58 degrees and my heater is not working in my house at the moment. Is there anything to worry about as far as too cold goes? I assume yeast will kick back up when it heats up a bit.

ad26588c222d11e2b8f522000a1fbce9_7.jpg

Edit: replacing cold water with warm water to bring heat up.

Looks good to me. You mean the airlock is slow?

Check the specs of your yeast online or wherever, temp range will be listed.

It dropped below 60 for a while and had barely any activity, but my house has warmed up now and it is moving along fine. The 1450 yeast range is 60-70 degrees and mine has been mostly in the mid to low 60's. I think max at 66 degrees. Everything looks good now, my only concern is being gone for the weekend and maintaining under 70 degrees when it's getting into the 80's this weekend.

My concern was if anything happens if it's too cold like fruity esters or somethng along those lines.

I think esters are high temp and cold just makes things go dormant? Lots of wiser people on these forums could chime in.

My outdoor temps are 0 - 30 this week.

Eagerly brewing this up tommorow. Thinking about adding about 6-8 oz of regular molasses to the boil at 15 min...didnt see any mention of molasses in this thread. Im also using warrior hops. I recently tried a Spartan Warrior Imperial Stout in Alaska recently that used blackstrap molasses and warrior hops that had to be one of the finest stouts that ever crossed my lips. If I could ever clone that recipe or better yet if anyone knows of a clone :mug:

I started on the 17th with an OG of 1.062 checked today and its 1.026. Almost 3 weeks. Should I keep it in the fermenter? Seems like it should be lower...??

But it does taste good now ;-)

I made this quite a while ago and I've been letting it sit in bottles. I ran upstairs to grab a screwdriver to mount a new cartridge on my turntable and witnessed a swing top bottle blow out the bottom. Man it smelled good! Obviously I put one in the fridge

wyowolf said:
I started on the 17th with an OG of 1.062 checked today and its 1.026. Almost 3 weeks. Should I keep it in the fermenter? Seems like it should be lower...??

But it does taste good now ;-)

Take another reading In a few days. If it's the same it's done, right? The lactose adds non-fermentable gravity, so that could be right.

Back