Starter temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starsman20

Reaction score
I have searched but haven't found a temp recommended for a starter. Made first one tonight. Should I leave at room temp 77 or so or put it in the ferm chamber 65 right now with a witbier. Also I ran out of tinfoil and I read someone used paper towels for the lid. I have a 2 qt pickle jar with 1qt of starter. I soaked a paper towel 4layers thick with starsan and held it down with a rubber band. Should I just use the jar lid or leave that. Thanks. The yeast is wyeast 1272 ale 2 that is going into an amber ale Sunday.

Here's a picture

image-2528425066.jpg

The yeast will propagate just dandy at the warmer temp. You'll probably want to decant and pitch the starter wort though. Your lid looks great.

I learned to make a starter from Adventures in Homebrewing because it is only a couple of miles from my house. (If you happen to be interested, their website is homebrewing.org)

Anyway, I was surprised to read that you can pitch yeast into a starter at 90f! Before anyone starts responding in all caps, he actually writes this is warmer than usual, but to keep inked that you are making yeast, not beer. Apparently they are not damaged/stressed by this elevated temp.

freisste said:
I learned to make a starter from Adventures in Homebrewing because it is only a couple of miles from my house. (If you happen to be interested, their website is homebrewing.org)

Anyway, I was surprised to read that you can pitch yeast into a starter at 90f! Before anyone starts responding in all caps, he actually writes this is warmer than usual, but to keep inked that you are making yeast, not beer. Apparently they are not damaged/stressed by this elevated temp.

When I say "keep inked" I obviously mean "keep in mind"...

Please tell me I'm not the only one who hates this damn iPhone.

Don't put a lid on, leave it at that so it can get air. And throw it in the chamber now at the temp ur gonna be fermenting the beer at. The starter yeast will be better acclimated to the temp and should start relatively quickly once u pitch.

Get it to optimal fermentation temps. Cold crash so that it will be clear on brew day. (Optional) decant. Then (also optional) pull from trudge on brew day and get it back to mid to upper 60's and pitch the slurry.

Latest posts

Back