Raisins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cacaca86

Reaction score
What does addng raisins do for flavor? When can they be added and how mcuh would one use for 1 gallon. Also curious im only 1.5 weeks in primary process... Can i let it go in primary for more than 2 wks despite the simple recipe said 2 wks then rack in secondary for another 2 wks. I was thinking of letting it go in primary for atleast 4 wks.

I think when people add raisins, they are doing it more as a natural yeast nutrient, and not as a flavor enhancer.

I've added as much as 4lbs of raisins to a 6 gallon batch of cider, they don't really add any flavour that I could detect, but they DO add a bit more sugar (not certain how much, I never calculated it) & a bit of body to a cider or even a non-grape wine.

I always do a freeze/thaw & run them through a food processor before adding to primary. They do work, but I think the raisin addition would be noticable more by their absence rather than by their presence; unless you use too few or too much.
Regards, GF.

gratus fermentatio said:
I've added as much as 4lbs of raisins to a 6 gallon batch of cider, they don't really add any flavour that I could detect, but they DO add a bit more sugar (not certain how much, I never calculated it) & a bit of body to a cider or even a non-grape wine.

I always do a freeze/thaw & run them through a food processor before adding to primary. They do work, but I think the raisin addition would be noticable more by their absence rather than by their presence; unless you use too few or too much.
Regards, GF.

I used a 48 oz bag of Craisin's. Ran em thru the food processor and they totally changed the flavor of 5 gal of apple cider.

MarkKF said:
I used a 48 oz bag of Craisin's. Ran em thru the food processor and they totally changed the flavor of 5 gal of apple cider.

Sounds good, did it sweeten it? What point did you add them? Primary! Secondary?

I did in the secondary. Will try primary next time. Added sugar but not sweetness. Prob just increased ABV.

I added raisins to a batch of cider. added them to the primary, they are all floating, should I wait for them to sink before racking to the secondary? and will this even happen?

@MarkkE the Crasins idea sounds really yum.

I added raisins to a batch of cider. added them to the primary, they are all floating, should I wait for them to sink before racking to the secondary? and will this even happen?

@MarkkE the Crasins idea sounds really yum.

Done this with wine. They don't sink.

Back