Dupont Saison yeast harvesting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

befus

Reaction score
Got a bomber of Saison Dupont today. It indicated bottle conditioning. Is this the fermentation yeast or conditioning strain, and has it been harvested? I searched and it seemed to indicate it was possible, but none actually said they had successfully done it and were pleased with the results. TIA.

I did it. Works great. I think I'm on my 3rd generation. President of the local homebrew club enjoyed the beer I made with it, said you could really taste the saison yeast.

Can anyone tell me a ballpark final gravity to expect with the bottle-harvested Dupont yeast? I brewed with some a couple weeks ago. The OG was 1.06 and my mash temp was probably around 149, going on memory. I haven't checked in on it yet, but I'm curious what to expect. Thanks!

I amof the impression that you will get in the low 70%s for attenuation.

I usually get pretty good attenuation with mine, in the low single digits for table saisons. What you get from the bottle is a little more aggressive than WY3724/WLP565.

I usually get pretty good attenuation with mine, in the low single digits for table saisons. What you get from the bottle is a little more aggressive than WY3724/WLP565.

Thanks Kingwood-kid, I was hoping you'd chime in since it sounds like you've brewed and drank a few batches. I got the impression from reading some threads here that the bottle-harvested yeast doesn't stall out in the same way as the commercially available yeast. May I ask , how long did you let yours ferment, and at what temperature? (I've got mine at 22C and I'm figuring a month or so.)

Dupont ferments theirs around 95, so you should be able to do the same. I've done it at room temps and I've done it at around 100 degrees, or however hot it gets in my garage in July. Hotter=funkier, faster and probably lower FG. The garage batch went from 1.040 to right around 1.000, and I bottled ten days after brewday, vs the usual 14-21. The commercial yeast is a single-strain lab isolate. The much more attenuative and less sluggish WLP566 is allegedly another Dupont isolate, so the bottle harvest should contain both strains, although I can't say in what proportion. The bottled version also comes with a free beer!

Back