New To Kombucha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vance71975

Reaction score
Hey all, i am finally getting the stuff around to make Kombucha, I am getting a good amount of Different Teas, Greens,red,blacks,and even some white tea. Any advice on Blends?

I will be doing 1g batches, any advice on how much sugar to use? I dont want it to be like drinking vinegar but i do want it to have some sourness to it.

The only Tea i am Unsure of is the Red. Its Rooibos red and is technically considered an herbal tea since it doesn't come from Camellia sinensis, but i have also read that people have used it with no problems. I do plan to use it in a very Limited Amount, maybe 10-15% of the total tea used, unless someone here has had a bad experience using it?

I am also buying a kit on Amazon, Just basically to get all the stuff in one place, It comes with a SCOBY but i am wondering if Growing up a SCOBY from a bottle of raw Kombucha would be better?

Here is the kit i am getting: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004F27F5C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Any tips tricks or advice or recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the same kit. I started my brew on Saturday March 3. I followed the instructions exactly and just waiting to see what I get in another couple of weeks. I'll post again when I drink my first batch.

I got the same kit. I started my brew on Saturday March 3. I followed the instructions exactly and just waiting to see what I get in another couple of weeks. I'll post again when I drink my first batch.

Well i ended up going the grow my own Scoby route, which worked out fine, i have also done a CRAP TON of reading since this post. lol

Almost a week later I have a new SCOBY floating on top. Now I just need to bottle it and see what I have. I didn't think it would form this fast, so I have to find some jars for bottling. :mug:

Well i ended up going the grow my own Scoby route, which worked out fine, i have also done a CRAP TON of reading since this post. lol

Can you recommend some reading for a long time homebrewer that wants to get into kombucha?

Sounds like you're off to a good start! I won't clutter up the thread, but I've been brewing KT since the late 70s and can probably help out if you run into any issues.

My only problem with that kit off Amazon is the price. You can get started for under $20.

Back