Pittsburgh/Western PA Group Buy - Round 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dand9096, thanks for giving me access. I added .2 splits for the DME and the bottle caps. (Even though I keg, I am always giving beers to people and with 2,000 bottle caps I would be set for a while!)

To others, I've participated in the last few Syracuse group buys and all I can tell you is that this is an awesome opportunity to get grains CHEAP.

Some suggestions for folks. (Based on what I've been making, lot's of English Style Ales and IPA's)
- Do a split for various crytal malts (e.g. GW-C60). Lot's of recipe's call for crystal 60. I love being able to just go to the basement and grab c15, c40, c60, c120, c150.
- Do a split for Carapils (e.g. BZ‐CRPL).
- If you miss the taste of Iron City or Rolling Rock, get yourself some flaked corn (e.g. GP‐FLCRN) and flaked rice (e.g. GP‐RICE)
- Don't forget about wheat beers, summer is coming! (e.g. CM‐WHET for wheat malt, GO‐FLWHT for flaked wheat...also good for head retention)
- If you haven't done brewing with TF-MOPA, TRY IT. Maris Otter is awesome for those English brews, and I now tend to order as much of it as 2-row. (I also just got a TF‐GPRM, but haven't tried it. It is the Scottish version and is supposedly a bit sweeter.)
- Don't forget about Vienna (e.g. BZ-VIEN) and Munich! I find myself using them more and more.
- I could go on and on.

I think the specialty grains (e.g. crystal whatever) and things like Maris Otter are even better buys than plain old 2-row. My LHBS (not in the Pittsburgh area) occasionally offers deals on sacks of 2-row (which I try to participate in), but NEVER on specialty grains, MO, etc.

Don't you want to end up with a grain supply like this? :) https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/syracuse-ny-round-6-group-grain-buy-279676/index124.html#post3818889 (my grains, each of those gray plastic containers has 3 sacks of grains, the round buckets are 5 or 6 gallons, and the plastic bins have grains I've split up into reasonable chunks based on grain type and vacuum sealed) or like this? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/syracuse-ny-round-6-group-grain-buy-279676/index124.html#post3818561 (another person in the Syracuse group buy).

i have myself down for a 50lb bag of dextrose, but if anyone wants to get a decent chunk of it, that's fine. i probably don't really need that much.

dand9066 said:
Do you have a preference of which type. I've only used the plain and have heard mixed feedback on the oxy absorbing caps as to whether they work or not

I would prefer plain bottle caps, I'm cheep and have not had anything to complain about with them in the past.

78 out of 84! Lets fill this thing up before I have to buy more grain:ban:

Theres still about 10 more days until close. I'll save when we get to 84 but it will keep going to try for 3 pallets. If we are unable to fill or come close to filling the third pallet only those that had the participated in the first 2 pallets will get the grain from them. 3rd pallet additions will have to be added to the next buy.

Cheap caps it is. If you have a problem take it up with the Butcher!! No i was gonna go with cheap as well.

I also added .25 to my .5 split of GP-Rice to complete the split. If anyone is interested in a .25 split of this add it to your column and make mine .5 again.

There is another open split for the Pilsen Light DME. This is available in 5lb increments with 35lbs available.

Still available are 4k bottle caps for $12/per 1k

Good lookin out.

I added to the splits and put in for 1000 bottle caps and 10 lbs of DME.

Hey dand9066, I have to say that that is some fantastic spreadsheet work!

Thanks for all of your hard work! I hope we can all pitch in enough extra cash to cover your expenses.

I'm in for:
1 Bag of Briess 2-Row
.1 on the caps

Also put in a split for:
.25 bag of GW Crystal 60 (hopefully we can get that filled up in time)

Hey dand9066, I have to say that that is some fantastic spreadsheet work!

Thanks for all of your hard work! I hope we can all pitch in enough extra cash to cover your expenses.

I can't take credit for a spreadsheet I didn't create. All I have to do is add the grain, prices, all the buyers, and change some little things here and there. For the most part all the work does itself and it sure wasn't me that made it like that.

With that said I believe its something we should use for future buys though!

Caps - 2k left
Crystal 15 - Half sack left
Pilsen Lgt DME - 25lb left. 5lb increments
PBW - Still 3 splits open. Less that $27 a split

I grabbed the last bit of C-60. It was too tempting and it got us to 84 woot WOOT!

I saw you thinking about it. Do I...or don't I.

Lets get 3!

Sorry trent, faith took off some of his order. Were back at 83

we may actually be albe to get more that 84 on a pallet

Hi all,

I put three bags on last night. FB Pils, CM 2-row and BZ Munich. Also took a split of C60.

Thanks to the dand9066 for all of the time and effort!

Adam

I put my entries in for 3 bags total (5301,5317, GW-2Row) and hopefully some Star San and PBW if the splits fill!!!

Question on the StarSan and PBW that I see on the Country Malt Group price list. There is a 5S-PBW8LB but don't see a way to order that, is it possible? Also a 5S-STAR- 32 Ounce, is there a way to order that? Just makes the stuff easier to split up with my buddy in original containers.

Thanks for putting this together!

I put my entries in for 3 bags total (5301,5317, GW-2Row) and hopefully some Star San and PBW if the splits fill!!!

Question on the StarSan and PBW that I see on the Country Malt Group price list. There is a 5S-PBW8LB but don't see a way to order that, is it possible? Also a 5S-STAR- 32 Ounce, is there a way to order that? Just makes the stuff easier to split up with my buddy in original containers.

Thanks for putting this together!

I don't see why I couldn't add the small versions for you to buy as a whole instead of splitting.

KEEP IN MIND:
PBW 8LB = $3.63/lb
PBW 50 = $2.50/lb
Splitting the 50 5 ways your getting 10lb for $25 and not 8lb for $29

5S STAR32 = $0.38 / oz
5S Star4 = $0.23 / oz

We still have a over a week until I would like to close this. But even that is variable and I could extend or cut it short if we fill or can't fill the 3rd pallet.

I may even go in for a split of PBW if it doesn't fill.

dand9066 said:
I don't see why I couldn't add the small versions for you to buy as a whole instead of splitting.

KEEP IN MIND:
PBW 8LB = $3.63/lb
PBW 50 = $2.50/lb
Splitting the 50 5 ways your getting 10lb for $25 and not 8lb for $29

5S STAR32 = $0.38 / oz
5S Star4 = $0.23 / oz

We still have a over a week until I would like to close this. But even that is variable and I could extend or cut it short if we fill or can't fill the 3rd pallet.

Sounds like we just wait a week then and see if the splits work out!

In for 2 Sacks of Bairds Pale Ale Malt.
Hoping to split 1/2 sack of Best Malz Vienna Malt (BZ-VIEN)

ATTENTION:

I am going to make a list of purchasers by HBT Username and post your city beside it so they are all in one spot. With this you could PM people that are in your area and work out grain pickups and what not. I will not post Personal info like name, street address, or phone. That info would be up to you to share. I would put this on the opening post. All of our cities are posted in our tag or whatever it is called on the left so I don't think its a big deal. Let me know if you are opposed to this and I won't include you. This would be posted when we close the buy or maybe sooner because I know some of you are in Ohio thinking about buying.

Example:
dand9066 - Indiana, PA
DMace - Monroeville, PA

I missed the C 60? Added a new split. Man, the longer this drags on the more I'm gonna spend...

Added:

.25 - GW-C60 2-Row Crystal 60
.2 - 5S-PBW50

PJM said:
I missed the C 60? Added a new split. Man, the longer this drags on the more I'm gonna spend...

Added:

.25 - GW-C60 2-Row Crystal 60
.2 - 5S-PBW50

I'm with you on this. I'm trying not to as I have only done extract. Should have my custom grain mill just in time. Still have to build a mash tun.
So since I'm a noob what is c60 used for.

Crystal 60 is pretty commonly used in pale ales and IPAs. Adds a little color and caramel sweetness. Can't believe you are an extract brewer and you had the crazy idea to organize a group grain buy. Too funny. You will love all grain brewing. It gives you tons of options and more control over the final product

So since I'm a noob what is c60 used for.[/QUOTE]

Provides the desirable nonfermentable components to beer:

Body (mouthfeel)

Foam retention

extended beer stability

Color

unique caramel flavor - from sweet to dark fruit

Here's an example all-grain recipe which uses c60...Sierra Nevada's awesome Celebration ale (seasonal IPA):
5 gallon batch:

Grains:
11# 2-row
.5# carapils
1# crystal 60
Hop Schedule:
.9 oz Chinook (60 minutes)
.25 oz Chinook (30 minutes)
.9 oz Cascade (0 minutes)
.5 oz Cascade (dry hop 7 days)
.5 oz Centennial (dry hop 7 days)

Yeast: S-05 (1 package)

With group buys on grain, buying hops by the # (internet), and re-using yeast (see yeast washing discussions), my grain/hops/yeast cost for 5 gallons of this delicious brew is under $13, assuming my pro-rated cost for yeast is about $1/batch. :mug:

Here's an example all-grain recipe which uses c60...Sierra Nevada's awesome Celebration ale (seasonal IPA):
5 gallon batch:

Grains:
11# 2-row
1# carapils
1# crystal 60
Hop Schedule:
.9 oz Chinook (60 minutes)
.25 oz Chinook (30 minutes)
.9 oz Cascade (0 minutes)
.5 oz Cascade (dry hop 7 days)
.5 oz Centennial (dry hop 7 days)

Yeast: S-05 (1 package)

With group buys on grain, buying hops by the # (internet), and re-using yeast (see yeast washing discussions), my grain/hops/yeast cost for 5 gallons of this delicious brew is under $13, assuming my pro-rated cost for yeast is about $1/batch. :mug:

Copied for future use...... whats the mash temp?

Copied for future use...... whats the mash temp?

Here's a link to the recipe discussion: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/sn-celebration-ale-clone-recipe-96551/#post1049493. According to this, mash temperature is 150. Looking at my brew notes, I realize it should be .5# carapils (not 1#) for a 5 gallon batch. Also, I didn't do a Saccharification Rest or Mash out as I do a batch sparge. (I do use Irish Moss and do a cold crash (in keg) for most of my batches, including this one.) Here's a half-assed picture of it. (Edit: Although the picture is somewhat dark, I think you can see that the beer cleared quite nicely.)

I did a side-by-side of it with the real thing, and the color and head retention were spot on. The carbonation was slightly different, but the taste was very very close.

SN Celebration.jpg

Im a cloudy beer kind of guy. I already have all the ingredients for this aside from the irish moss so I'll do without it

Crystal 60 is pretty commonly used in pale ales and IPAs. Adds a little color and caramel sweetness. Can't believe you are an extract brewer and you had the crazy idea to organize a group grain buy. Too funny. You will love all grain brewing. It gives you tons of options and more control over the final product

Well I was going to go all grain so it was either spend double the money overall on all grain kits or get the ball rolling here. I figured i'd help us all out. My family does travel back and forth from WI about once a month so I could have them pick stuff up at NB for relatively cheap compared to LHBS but this is cheaper and I feel like im helping fellow brewers in the area.

I guess a way to pay it back to everyone on here that posted info that I read to get me started brewing since i'm not a premium member yet!

Thanks DMase - I have been up and down and in every corner of this forum reading and reading so I guess that why I'm making the jump after 2 extracts.

LETS FILL THIS 3rd PALLET!!!

Back