Does mouthfeel develop over time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRbutlertron

Reaction score
Just curious if mouthfeel (dependent on style) will develop over time while the beer is conditioning?

Thanks

Well this particular batch after three weeks, it tastes great now and i love it. My question is more out of curiosity.

i agree, definite improvement since going all grain, but does anyone know if conditioning a beer will change/improve mouthfeel?

I had a vanilla stout that was an extract kit. It was very watery, I just finished the last bottle (7 mos old) and it had considerably better mouthfeel than I remember.

I'm not providing a scientifically backed answer here so hopefully I won't have my home ransacked for answering your question...

Once carbonation levels have stabilized, I don't feel that mouthfeel will be effected by aging - with one caveat - oxidation can add mouthfell (IMO).

My experience is this:
Increasing residual sugar - increasing mouthfeel
Increasing malt residuals (non sugar) - increasing mouthfeel
Increasing non-fermentable adjuncts (non-aromatics) - increasing mouthfeel
Increasing aromatics (hops) - no effect on mounthfeel
Increasing CO2 levels - decreasing mouthfeel/body, increasing bite and increasing fillingness
Increasing Oxidation - increase mouthfeel, increase fillingness. Decrease bite.

I'd like to know what others experience is around these parameter and others, this was just my quick first pass.

For me it seems that mouth feel and taste improve with age. The last two brews I did were a little thin tasting at 3 weeks but great after 4-5 weeks

I will say that my first kegged batch, a Belgian tripel from extract (emergency brew) get considerably better over time. It was good at first, but after about 3-4 weeks in the keg, the carbonation was really good, the head retention improved, and the mouthfeel SEEMED better. It may not have actually improved in the mouthfeel, but my perception of it was that it had.

For me it seems that mouth feel and taste improve with age. The last two brews I did were a little thin tasting at 3 weeks but great after 4-5 weeks

I noticed the same thing with some of my brews. Dependingon the recipre but they taste better at 4-5 weeks.

I'm not providing a scientifically backed answer here so hopefully I won't have my home ransacked for answering your question...

Once carbonation levels have stabilized, I don't feel that mouthfeel will be effected by aging - with one caveat - oxidation can add mouthfell (IMO).

My experience is this:
Increasing residual sugar - increasing mouthfeel
Increasing malt residuals (non sugar) - increasing mouthfeel
Increasing non-fermentable adjuncts (non-aromatics) - increasing mouthfeel
Increasing aromatics (hops) - no effect on mounthfeel
Increasing CO2 levels - decreasing mouthfeel/body, increasing bite and increasing fillingness
Increasing Oxidation - increase mouthfeel, increase fillingness. Decrease bite.

I'd like to know what others experience is around these parameter and others, this was just my quick first pass.

this makes sense to me. if you do not have some non fermentables in your beer at bottling they will not appear with time.

Judging by my rye ipa i just had tonight almost 2 months bottled i would say it has stabilized carbonation,i remember it tasting thinner,now it has a creamy head,better mouthfeel. That being said i feel that carbonation is not its full potential within the first month either. I also think at that point mouthfeel wont change any more. The yeast may be an influence along with the other suggestions previous.

Back