Weight or Volume.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatsMcBrew

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm brewing my second batch today. My first from a recipe instead of a kit. The wort recipe calls for .75oz of hops for 60min and 1oz of a different hops for 30min.
Question... Are the hops measured in ounces of weight or voluime? I'm, assuming weight, but I'd rather look stupid here, than make bad beer!

Like all good recipes, Hops are always measured in weight.

Cheers!

This is why English units are dumb.

Volume ounces are "fluid" ounces.

1 fluid oz of water = 1 oz of weight.
1 liter of water = 1 Kg of weight.

I think the OZ naming can be a bit confusing, but it also serves as a memory aid.

This is why water in most beer/baking recipes is measured in volume (liters/ozs) rather than the rest of the ingredients, which are by weight.

While we're on measurements...some people will tell you to prime your brew with 3/4 CUP of Corn Sugar or up to 1 1/4 CUP of DME.

This is not a good measurement as CS and DME can compact. Compacted they both weigh more.

From what I've witnessed, most CS comes in packets of 4 oz for normal beer and 5 oz for Hefe Weizens.

Point is use the weighted measurement and you can't go wrong. ;)

I have this old, old memory of our pastor bringing bushel baskets of wheat to church and demonstrating how you can pack almost two (loose) baskets full into one basket. Don't remember why he was doing it or what it had to do with church.

I have this old, old memory of our pastor bringing bushel baskets of wheat to church and demonstrating how you can pack almost two (loose) baskets full into one basket. Don't remember why he was doing it or what it had to do with church.
May have been that same experiment where the teacher brought in jars of stones and asked the students if it was full then added smaller stones and asked if it was full then added even smaller stones then sand then water. Then he came back and said I thought you all said this was full after each stage...;)

Back