Thoughts on my IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csp

Reaction score
Here's the recipe:

6.6 lbs. LME
1 lb. Crystal 60L
8 oz. Victory
1 oz. Amerillo @60 min (8.4)
1 oz. Cascade @45 min (6.3)
1 oz. Amerillo @30 min
1 oz. Cascade @15 min
US-05 yeast
Ferment for one week then transfer to secondary.
Dry hop with 1 oz. of Cascade and 3 oz. of french oak chips soaked in Makers Mark
for 2 weeks then keg.
I should add that my Mother in law bought this kit from BB for my birthday. I bought different hops and added the oak chips.
Any thoughts?

I geuss I should have put this in the recipe section. Sorry, I had quite a few last night.

No comments on the recipe itself (looks good), however I would comment on your fermentation plan. Don't just rack it at one week, take gravity readings and only rack it once fermentation is complete for a couple days.

Edit: Oh and PM a mod, they can move it for you.

csp said:
Here's the recipe:

6.6 lbs. LME
1 lb. Crystal 60L
8 oz. Victory
1 oz. Amerillo @60 min (8.4)
1 oz. Cascade @45 min (6.3)
1 oz. Amerillo @30 min
1 oz. Cascade @15 min
US-05 yeast
Ferment for one week then transfer to secondary.
Dry hop with 1 oz. of Cascade and 3 oz. of french oak chips soaked in Makers Mark
for 2 weeks then keg.
I should add that my Mother in law bought this kit from BB for my birthday. I bought different hops and added the oak chips.
Any thoughts?

Looks good to me. This is very similar to an IPA that I've been doing. My steeping grains were .5# each of Crystal 60, Victory, and Carapils. I've used that mix three times now for IPA's and it works nicely.

As mentioned, Amarillo is a great flavor add but would work as a bittering add if you didn't have any other higher AA hops.

I bittered with Magnum and used a Cascade/Amarillo mix on one (awesome), bittered with a Magnum/Chinook mix and did a Simcoe/Cascade mix on another (in secondary now), and bittered with Chinook and did a Centennial/Cascade/Simcoe mix on another (also good). Let us know how it turns out!

Yeah I threw in 1# of corn sugar just to hike up the abv a notch. As far as the hops go I was just trying to expand my horizons. I really like Cascade but i have never used Amerillo before and even though they were pellets they smelled amazing. Also I used the TastyBrew calculator and it looked ok. Oh yeah, as far as fermentation goes, its been in primary for a week and a half. Maybe I'll transfer and dry hop next week. Thanks for the help you guys.

Back