yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

felthamy

Reaction score
Reading one of the threads earlier it mentions a yeast cake. Not to sound stupid but what is a yeast cake

As the yeast finishes up and goes dormant, it flocculates(drops) to the bottom of the fermentation vessel and eventually, depending on yeast strains can form an almost solid, gelatinous "cake" at the bottom.

There are no stupid questions when it comes to brewing. There is so much to learn from terminology to technique that few people can really call themselves brewmasters.

Thanks guys av just returned to brewing after about a twelve year absence. A was never that good to start with. Av just racked a coopers real ale into a king keg tonight which has been fermenting for about 8 days it lookes pretty clear so fingers crossed it will b ok

NO DOUBT! Brewing terminology drove me crazy when I first started brewing. High Krausen? Sparge. Wort pronounced like wert. Attenuation vs flocculation. So many german/scientific words that I just had to replace in my mind at first with "rinse" or "does this yeast float around forever or not". At least yeast cake is pretty much just what it sounds like!

Latest posts

Back