Does this partial mash ale sound right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolstix

Reaction score
Hello all you smart buggers! I'm wondering about a recipe I'm thinking up. I don't know about this but am thinking of mashing 2lbs 2 row, 1 lb carastan, and 1 lb of wheat in 2 gallons of RO h2O and then sparging with another 2 gallons. I have a 5 gallon brew pot that I can boil about 4 gallons in without boiling over. I'm planning on doing a 60 minute boil with this wort and adding 3 lbs of light liquid dme into the beginning and another 1lb or so of dry light dme at the end. I will chill with my wort chiller than top up to 21 litres with RO H2o. On hand I have 2oz amarillo, 4 oz cascades, 4oz apollo and 2 oz chinook. Now Im not into extreme hoppy beer but i think an ounce or two should be adequate. Just wondering about what kind of hops would make a nice batch and when to add them. I know at 60 min is the bittering hops and at 30 flavour and at flameout is aroma but Im not knowing which ones to add. Also does this method even sound right to you? Thanks any help would be appreciated.

Some tips:

Do a full volume boil. Do not top off. A smaller batch of IPA that was not topped off will always be the better beer when compared to a larger batch of IPA which was topped off.

With that said, I would shoot for about a 4.25 gallon boil and 3.4 gallon batch.

Mash the following in a grain bag around 148-150 F for 60 minutes:

2 lbs. 2-row
1 lb. wheat
1/2 lb. carastan (1 lb. may be too sweet [it will for me at least])

Mash with 1.25 to 1.50 liters water per lb. of grain
...plain tap water will do just fine

Afterward, dunk the grain bag several times in your 5 gallon brewpot, which contains approx. 3 gallons of 170 F plain water. The grains will be rinsed and conversion will stop. Let the bag drip out, but do not squeeze it. Place it in a bowl to let the rest drip out so you can add it later.

Meanwhile, add the grain wort to the plain water. The boil volume at that point should be 4.25 gallons level. Bring to a boil, and add 2 lbs. of LME or DME. You will be at the 60 minute mark in your boil, so add 1/2 oz. Apollo hops and boil this for 45 minutes until you make your next addition at 15 minutes left in the boil. At this point, add your irish moss/whirlfloc, yeast nutrient, second hop addition of 1 oz Cascade and 1 oz. Chinook. Boil for another 10 minutes, add 1.5 lbs. more LME or DME, about 1/2 to 3/4 lb. of corn sugar, and another ounce of Cascade. Skip the 30 minute addition entirely for this beer. It won't give you flavor, just more bitterness which you don't necessarily need.

During the last minute of the boil, place the lid on the kettle. Quickly cool your wort via an ice bath in your sink. You'll need a crapload of ice and cold water. After about 10 minutes of cooling via this method, dump in an ounce of Amarillo and 1/2 oz. Apollo and 1/2 ounce Chinook. Quickly cover and bring down to 68 F. Test the gravity; it should be around 1.065-1.070 OG. Aerate your wort and add your yeast (preferably a WLP001 or 1056 yeast starter). Let ferment and condition for 3 weeks at 65 F before you add your dryhop, consisting of 1 oz. Amarillo, 1/2 oz. Apollo, and 1/2 oz. Chinook, and 1/2 oz. Cascade. Dryhop for another 7 days at 68 F before bottling with priming sugar and waiting 2-1/2 weeks at 72 F.

that looks like solid advice. The only thing I would do differently is to add the extract near flame out to improve hops utilization and to reduce the mallard reactions that will darken your beer.

He's adding about 1/3 to 1/2 extract at flameout, and half at the boil start.

Wow the hop bill alone is lots of money but it definitely sounds super yummy. I really appreciate the help guys!! Ideally until I get my 10 gallon brew pot I would love the ability to do two boils since I have 2 pots and combine them into a 5.5 gallon batch so in not wasting any space in my keg. Like I said before I have plenty of hops I think to do a larger batch with four pounds of grains ( I'm not sure about my grains ) I also have 6 lbs lme. Is there a way to just mix the two boils if they are identical? I am hoping for about 5.5% or so. I'm also building a ten gallon mash tub this weekend and will be going all grain but I want to use up this lme first???? I already have a burner but just need a good brew pot. Thanks alot for the help

Yes, an ounce or two will not be adequate for an IPA. You want about 5-11 total oz. depending on your threshold/preference and typical batch size of 3.5 - 5.5 gallons.

Twin boils combined in one carboy are doable, but the brew day can be more of a hassle than you think. Recipe formulation is tougher. You really need to be prepared and plan everything to the letter for the brew day to run smoothly.

Cool thanks a lot! I will get all my **** together for this weekend and start full 7.5 g boils outside! It just makes things easier. Brewing is tough enough I feel, and why do I want to complicate it even more. Thanks for the recipe advice to. That ipa hop schedule looks awesome. Cheers

I think you need some DME in there for the boil start in this situation. Not all of it, but at least some. The sugar and a portion of DME can be added later.

If he's doing a larger batch like he says he is planning to do, the low amount of mashed grain will create an extremely weak wort before the DME is added. I would agree with you if he was mashing a large majority of the fermentables though... then 100% late extract would be in order.

K so I'm doing a full boil on sat! What do you think of my 4lbs of grains mashed and sparged like you say than top off my kettle with h2o to about 7.2 gallons than start boil, shut off heat stir in 4 lbs light lme and refire, get boiling and adding your earlier hop schedule. than add the last 2 lbs of lldme at flameout? I just want to use my liquid malt up. I also got a copper wort chiller so I think I'm ready to rock????
Thanks s bunch for your expertise :)

Back