Central NJ - Learn how to All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Sunday November 25 at my house in Piscataway, NJ.

I want to keep this small so we can stay on point and focused. The main point is to help some relatively experienced extract brewers and walk them through a simple all grain batch from milling the grain to filling the fermenter. We'll spend some time talking about figuring out volumes/temps using software, batch vs. fly equipment requirements, figuring out efficiency, and rules of thumb.

I don't claim to be an expert but I can walk you through the process I use and then you can decide whether or not it will work for you.

I'd like to keep the recipe as simple as possible; Blonde, APA, Bitter, ESB. I've got a decent stock of MO, Vienna, crystals, chocolate, etc. I need to take a better inventory. As far as hops go, I've got centenial, warrior, cascade, EKG, Tetnanger.

I don't necessarily need to take a share of the product so if anyone wants to suggest and/or purchase a kit and bring it, that's fine. It sounds like we have two people interested so far, soulive21 and njnear76. That's at least 10 gallons right there. If we get one more committed, we can bump it to two 10 gallon batches.

Excellent. Like I said, I can bring MO 2row, hops, dry yeast, propane, banjo burner, 5 gallon MLT. I should clarify that I'm a partial-mash brewer that mashes about 2-6lbs per batch. Obviously there's still plenty for me to learn though. I vote ESB as far as recipes go. Maybe one from the HBT database?

I got the approval from SWMBO so I will be there. I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks Bobby for organizing this.

As far as beer to take away, I would be happy with a 1/2 to 1 case. Anything beyond that is extra as far as I'm concerned. Although more beer is always a good thing. :)

Mike

Soulive21 said:
Excellent. Like I said, I can bring MO 2row, hops, dry yeast, propane, banjo burner, 5 gallon MLT. I should clarify that I'm a partial-mash brewer that mashes about 2-6lbs per batch. Obviously there's still plenty for me to learn though. I vote ESB as far as recipes go. Maybe one from the HBT database?

I don't know man, partial mash brewers think they have it all figured out. Extract brewers only!! heh, j/k.

Yeah, we have a little time to figure recipe but I figure we'll make sure whoever is in on the split also kicks in for ingredients. Let's look around for recipes that use the stuff we have on hand. I'll take a more accurate inventory tonight.

Jamil's ESB uses Halcyon as the base but I say MO is fine. Add in a little crystal 40 and 120 and a little victory and I think we have something. EKG hops throughout? Unless you have any Fuggle/Willamete. Safale S-04 or Nottingham yeast, I have both.

I'm glad we were able to set a date so quickly and I think I will take a share of it cuz I have no English ales on hand at the moment.

I don't have any ingredients on hand, but I am more than willing to pay my share. Either that or if we get a pizza I can pay more.

Bobby_M said:
I don't know man, partial mash brewers think they have it all figured out. Extract brewers only!! heh, j/k.

Yeah, we have a little time to figure recipe but I figure we'll make sure whoever is in on the split also kicks in for ingredients. Let's look around for recipes that use the stuff we have on hand. I'll take a more accurate inventory tonight.

Jamil's ESB uses Halcyon as the base but I say MO is fine. Add in a little crystal 40 and 120 and a little victory and I think we have something. EKG hops throughout? Unless you have any Fuggle/Willamete. Safale S-04 or Nottingham yeast, I have both.

I'm glad we were able to set a date so quickly and I think I will take a share of it cuz I have no English ales on hand at the moment.

I'm nowhere neeear figured out, even with working @ Uno. I love using MO for the base of English ales. I have to check my hops, but I think I have Willamette, First Gold, and Northern Brewer. For yeast I have some us-05 and s-04. I'm cool with using Jamil's recipe and subbing in the MO. I might have some Oatmeal Stout for sampling as well. Unless it tastes like $hit from autolysis...

Here is the recipe from Jamil. I changed the base malt to MO for our sake. IMO the bittering hops are also changeable...

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
89.6 14.00 lbs. Maris Otter 2-row Great Britain 1.038 3
3.2 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
2.4 0.38 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.033 120
1.6 0.25 lbs. Special Roast Malt America 1.033 40
3.2 0.50 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.90 31.4 60 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.90 3.5 20 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.90 3.5 1 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP002 English Ale

I need to get the SWMBO ok, but I just wanted to throw my name in for the meanwhile... I'll update my post later tonight...

Screw it, I'm brewing that day no matter what but I can say that anyone that says they're def coming and doesn't is not getting invited back for a similar session. It's just uncool (short of an emergency of course).

Bobby_M said:
Screw it, I'm brewing that day no matter what but I can say that anyone that says they're def coming and doesn't is not getting invited back for a similar session. It's just uncool (short of an emergency of course).

I have no problem if its you and me brewing 10 gallons to split. I'm down with Jamil's ESB too. I'll bring my Maris Otter since my other ingredients probably won't work. I will also have some Oatmeal Stout for anyone who wants to sample. I'm still taking that 30qt pot off your hands too...

Bobby_M said:

I plan on being there. What time are we starting?
Mike

Hell, I'll go 8am if everyone's down. I was setting up for the big brewout by 7. I just don't know what everyone's Friday night habits were going to do to them in the morning.

Bobby_M said:
Hell, I'll go 8am if everyone's down. I was setting up for the big brewout by 7. I just don't know what everyone's Friday night habits were going to do to them in the morning.

You mean Saturday night habits right? Assuming we're still doing Sunday the 25, I can do 8am...

Bobby_M said:
Sorry, yeah, my mistake. Sunday 8am.
Wow. That's early. But I'm on board with whatever you guys want.

So it looks like Bobby, Soulive21, and me and perhaps janzik.

I was looking around the other day and I noticed I'm getting low on bottles. So if we do 10 gallons, I would be cool with only coming away with a 6 pack. I guess we'll figure out how much we are going to brew when we have a definite list of who is showing up. It's probably best to have a cutoff sign-up date by next week Wednesday for that particular reason.

njnear76 said:
Wow. That's early. But I'm on board with whatever you guys want.

So it looks like Bobby, Soulive21, and me and perhaps janzik.

I was looking around the other day and I noticed I'm getting low on bottles. So if we do 10 gallons, I would be cool with only coming away with a 6 pack. I guess we'll figure out how much we are going to brew when we have a definite list of who is showing up. It's probably best to have a cutoff sign-up date by next week Wednesday for that particular reason.

We should vote on the starting time. My only complaint with starting later is that the Giants kick off @ 1pm on Sunday :)

I honestly don't think we'd be done by 1 even with an 8am start (maybe close). I TIVO all the games for that very reason and you're welcome to hang out and get caught up on the game right afterwards. Either way...

NJnear, I've got a case of 16oz PET bottles I was going to get rid of if you want them. I might also be able to spare another sixer of glass bottles.

You can ferment your share in my primary here or take it. Do you have any 1 gallon carlo and rossi jugs? I know you know someone who drinks that stuff ;-)

Yeah I'm not totally concerned with the game, I was half kidding. Whenevers good for me. I just wanna learn some stuff and get some stuff in my fermenter...

Bobby_M said:
I honestly don't think we'd be done by 1 even with an 8am start (maybe close). I TIVO all the games for that very reason and you're welcome to hang out and get caught up on the game right afterwards. Either way...

NJnear, I've got a case of 16oz PET bottles I was going to get rid of if you want them. I might also be able to spare another sixer of glass bottles.

You can ferment your share in my primary here or take it. Do you have any 1 gallon carlo and rossi jugs? I know you know someone who drinks that stuff ;-)
Heh. I'll take you up on the primary and I'll figure out what to do when bottling day gets closer. I plan on drinking a bit during Thanksgiving so the issue might correct itself.

I really need to get rid of this macro beer (Bud Light, Miller Light, Yuengling Lager). We bought it for a party and I can't throw it away. I hate wasting beer even if it is not as good as homebrew. Maybe I will give away the Bud and Miller, but hold onto the Yuengling.

Speaking of bottling day, I can do either December 15th or December 16th.

njnear76 said:
I really need to get rid of this macro beer (Bud Light, Miller Light, Yuengling Lager,). We bought it for a party and I can't throw it away. I hate wasting beer even if it is not as good as homebrew.

Anything you don't wanna drink, use for cooking or when guests come. I have no problem drinking Yuengling, but the light beers I save for cooking brats or chili...

Soulive21 said:
Anything you don't wanna drink, use for cooking or when guests come. I have no problem drinking Yuengling, but the light beers I save for cooking brats or chili...
Yeah. Yuengling is pretty good stuff. Their Porter is pretty good even though the body is weak. I like the Black and Tan a bit too. For the price it's a great deal.

Hmmm... I think I will be OK with bottles. I got a case of 22oz and with a little bit of drinking I should be able to get a case of 12oz. Did you guys ever try to bring bottles back from a party? Yeah. I got that desperate for bottles last weekend.

My bro in law works for Yuengling and I have like a case of black and tan and porter and I really can't choke it down when I have all my homebrew on tap. Ollllo also gratiously brought a ton of micros over on brew day and I'm polishing a lot of those off too.

My fermenting plan for the ESB is to let it rip at 68F until "done", then rack to secondary. I'll leave it warm for a week, then crash it to 33F for another week. I'll already have a lager in secondary "lagering" by then in my ferm chest. Following that plan will put potential bottling date out to 12/16/07. If that doesn't work out, I can force carb it in my keg and we can bottle whatever share you wanted out of the keg. I've been using the Beirmuncher picnic faucet bottling method but I haven't verified that my method preserves carbonation for long term.

If you wanted to avoid the whole issue of coming back to bottle, you could take your share in whatever primary you have available. I'll leave it up to you because I don't have any particular preference. I like the idea of having Wednesday 11/21 as the cutoff date for who's coming/not coming so I can tweak the recipe for the volume we're going to run. The more the merrier but with 4 guys, I'd really think we'd want to run two back to back 10 gallon batches to make it worth while. I've got plenty of secondaries and if bottle shortage is the issue, I can store the beer for you for a while (in theory :)

Bobby_M said:
My bro in law works for Yuengling and I have like a case of black and tan and porter and I really can't choke it down when I have all my homebrew on tap. Ollllo also gratiously brought a ton of micros over on brew day and I'm polishing a lot of those off too.

My fermenting plan for the ESB is to let it rip at 68F until "done", then rack to secondary. I'll leave it warm for a week, then crash it to 33F for another week. I'll already have a lager in secondary "lagering" by then in my ferm chest. Following that plan will put potential bottling date out to 12/16/07. If that doesn't work out, I can force carb it in my keg and we can bottle whatever share you wanted out of the keg. I've been using the Beirmuncher picnic faucet bottling method but I haven't verified that my method preserves carbonation for long term.

If you wanted to avoid the whole issue of coming back to bottle, you could take your share in whatever primary you have available. I'll leave it up to you because I don't have any particular preference. I like the idea of having Wednesday 11/21 as the cutoff date for who's coming/not coming so I can tweak the recipe for the volume we're going to run. The more the merrier but with 4 guys, I'd really think we'd want to run two back to back 10 gallon batches to make it worth while. I've got plenty of secondaries and if bottle shortage is the issue, I can store the beer for you for a while (in theory :)

Sounds good. I think I will use your primary and come back the 16th to bottle.

I'm looking forward to seeing your setup Bobby. Since I brew at my brother-in-laws, my gear is really limited. I talked about all grain a couple of times and my wife flipped. She's worried that it's too much equipment for their place (Eyes rolling). I wish we had the space in the condo, but the closets are practically falling over in stuff. I can't wait to move next year.

Heh. I recently bought a 36 quart stainless steel pot by telling them I would deep fry the turkey this year. It's a good hidden agenda. All grain is going to happen. I'm hoping this tasty brew will win them over.

My setup is still a work in progess, I technically have all the converted kegs to do a single tier system but I don't have the stand built just yet. We'll probably be rocking the old cooler MLT setup for this day. It's probably better that way anyway because it sounds like you guys will use coolers as well.

Bobby_M said:
My setup is still a work in progess, I technically have all the converted kegs to do a single tier system but I don't have the stand built just yet. We'll probably be rocking the old cooler MLT setup for this day. It's probably better that way anyway because it sounds like you guys will use coolers as well.

Yeah I use an Igloo 5gallon. Do I need to bring it that day?

If we're doing 12 gallons, we'll use mine. If we want to do 18 gallons for a nice 3-way split, we can mash it all at the same time so sure, bring it if by Wednesday it sounds like it's the 3 of us. If we get 4, we'll have to use mine for two 10-gallon batches unless someone decides to be a spectator only.

I got the approval, I'm in. Sorry to ruin your 3 way :D

Since I'm still new to all of this, I'm not sure what I can bring that will help. I have a couple of carboys, besides my basic equipment. I'd like to help out in any way I can. Thanks...

Also, will need directions... 287 North?

No man, glad to have you. We'll run two back to back 10 gallon batches. We also have the option of a completely different recipe for two shares.

In order to speed up the batch transition, we'll use one burner/kettle for hot water and the other for wort boiling. I've never done it before so it'll be new to me too.

Executive decision, 8:30am start. Someone bring me a bagel, I'll have the coffee.

I can cover getting the bagels. Let me know what kind you want and how many. Once you get the ingredient list, try to figure out how much we owe you. I don't want to be a hump.

I just got back from Bobby's place. It looks like we'll have all the equipment and possibly all ingredients covered. With 4 people we can brew 20 gallons and split it into our carboys nicely. I'll take an untoasted plain bagel with butter :D

Yeah, should be cool. My Father(JoeJaz) wants to come along as well, but no need to adjust the recipe amount, we'll split up mine or whatever.

Back