Is it ok to collect yeast from dry yeast packets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could collect and wash the yeast from a yeast cake that came from dry yeast?

Thanks!

Absolutely. I do it all the time.

An argument against would be that the dry yeast is so cheap (except for W 34/70) that the risk isn't worth it.

but as you said, you do it all the time. if a brewer's sanitation techniques are good, the risk is next to zero..

thanks!

If you pitch it within a week, you may not even need a starter. However, I would check with Mr. Malty's Yeast calculator.

I have done this several times, although lately I stopped, I only harvest from liquid yeast,but as said above, the only reason is because dry is so cheap, I'f I want to reuse that strain, why go through the trouble.

I have done this several times, although lately I stopped, I only harvest from liquid yeast,but as said above, the only reason is because dry is so cheap, I'f I want to reuse that strain, why go through the trouble.

I see this argument all the time. What are you guys paying for dry yeast? I pay about $4 for dry and $6 for liquid. I dont understand why $2 more for liquid all of the sudden makes it worthwhile. I harvest all.

I am very cheap.....VERY cheap!

If you are going to go to the trouble of making starters (As I do) I prefer to lessen the risk of infection by making the starter from a small part of one packet of yeast. I then seal the yeast packet and put it in the fridge.

This saves all the trouble of washing yeast, and makes a packet of dry yeast last for several brews. I also do not use dry malt for the starter. I save a couple of litres of runnings from the previous batch and freeze it for use in the next starter.

Like I said, I'm cheap. :)

If you are going to go to the trouble of making starters (As I do) I prefer to lessen the risk of infection by making the starter from a small part of one packet of yeast. I then seal the yeast packet and put it in the fridge.

Now that's a good idea, will try that, certainly easier than washing!! Thank you.

I see this argument all the time. What are you guys paying for dry yeast? I pay about $4 for dry and $6 for liquid. I dont understand why $2 more for liquid all of the sudden makes it worthwhile. I harvest all.

Under 2$ for me.

Although the liquids I get tend to be 7-8 at my LHBS

So for me it is up to an 800% difference in price.

Right now I have too many things going on, so I forget to keep sterilized jars of water as well for washing. Friggin wrong time of the season. Gardening, Hot Sauce manufacture, building a greenhouse, and working full time.

This saves all the trouble of washing yeast, and makes a packet of dry yeast last for several brews. I also do not use dry malt for the starter. I save a couple of litres of runnings from the previous batch and freeze it for use in the next starter.

Like I said, I'm cheap. :)

LIke both ideas. Gnome, about how much yeast from the pack? Do you measure with a scale or just estimate?

Now that's a good idea, will try that, certainly easier than washing!! Thank you.

Disclaimer:

I should add that I only brew ordinary bitter, and I have this down to a fine art due to practice. I wouldn't know how it works for beers and yeasts other than the ones I do all the time.

LIke both ideas. Gnome, about how much yeast from the pack? Do you measure with a scale or just estimate?

In 2 litres of standard bitter starter (around 4% ABV after it becomes beer) a small sprinkle makes about as much as a larger sprinkle. I generally get at least 6 starters from a packet of dry yeast that will make 10 galls at a time.

I really DO have to stress that I don't keep records, measure any kind of gravity any more and that I brew entirely bareback. I just can't stress this enough, and acknowledge that I am a wild west brewer. I take no responsibility for anyone trying this at home.

My bitter IS pretty fooking awesome these days though! ;) (and fermentation always starts within 4 hours at 65F)

In 2 litres of standard bitter starter (around 4% ABV after it becomes beer) a small sprinkle makes about as much as a larger sprinkle. I generally get at least 6 starters from a packet of dry yeast that will make 10 galls at a time.

I really DO have to stress that I don't keep records, measure any kind of gravity any more and that I brew entirely bareback. I just can't stress this enough, and acknowledge that I am a wild west brewer. I take no responsibility for anyone trying this at home.

My bitter IS pretty fooking awesome these days though! ;) (and fermentation always starts within 4 hours at 65F)

You've done it enough that you know the process, can repeat it, and get great results. I think it's an idea that's worth experimenting with--I definitely get your disclaimer.

Oh crap!! People are listening to me!!! I should add that I made a stirplate. I used to shake the starter, but I managed to make a stirplate for free.....Maybe that is helping me. I just don't know. (No records and stuff)

How much do you think a stir plate increases production vs a good shake at start?

In technical terms, and after a long period of study. Absolutely no clue. I like my stir plate for 3 reasons. It was free, it's fun, and it makes me feel like a mad scientist.

My stir plate started life as an air freshener.

100_4530.JPG

In technical terms, and after a long period of study. Absolutely no clue. I like my stir plate for 3 reasons. It was free, it's fun, and it makes me feel like a mad scientist.

I get all my yeast management advice from Chris White and LGI. :p

The title of this threat had me picturing the OP going through the trash to grab a couple grains from various empty yeast packets. Ya know, the few that get stuck because of static and never get dumped out?

Back