Keg question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAS0311USMC

Reaction score
Just got my keg today. There is no purge valve on the lid. I was under the impression from what I have read and watched that a quick purge is necessary after the first injection of co2 in order to get the small amount of oxygen on top out. I called the company that I ordered from (which is on this website) and the gentlemen told me he has been kegging for quite a while and never has purged.

So.... Should I get a new lid? To purge or not to purge; that is the question. :D

What I would do would be to buy a pressure relief valve and install itinto a lid. From that valve you can purge all you want.

The old Pin Lock kegs by Coke didnt have the relief valves but a fuse type valve. I think they release at 140 psi. But one it releases you have replace it. I just take the gas line off and purge it with a screwdriver or they actually make a little plastic cap that goes on the co2 in.

+1 Just order the little purger thing next time you order keg stuff, use a screwdriver for now.

If you want lids with pressure relief valves you can buy them but even used it is a high percentage of the cost of a used keg. Installing a pressure relief valve sounds not worth it but maybe you are very handy and have a lot of free time.

huh - I thought I was the only one who used a chopstick.

nope. I also use a bamboo chopstick on poppets since it won't damage/scratch anything and the ones I have are just PERFECT diameter for it.

Back