Why SS pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbens6

Reaction score
So my buddies dad called and was looking at getting him a brew pot, he found an enamel one for 19.99, and i could not see a reason WHY it would not work, but every one always recommends stainless, any reason?!?!

"but every one always recommends stainless" Everyone always????

Nah, that's not true...Many brewers use Aluminum including turkey fryer kettles, and a few people do use enamel. Like Springer said, they biggest issue with enamel is chipping, but if you can get a reasonably priced and large enamel pot with no dings, that would work too.

This is a great sticky, with lots of info on pots, especially aluminum https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-aluminum-pots-boil-kettles-49449/

So my buddies dad called and was looking at getting him a brew pot, he found an enamel one for 19.99, and i could not see a reason WHY it would not work, but every one always recommends stainless, any reason?!?!

First choice - SS, durable, easy to clean, nearly corrosion free
Second choice - Al, softer, still easy to clean but avoid some corrosive chemicals and steel scrubbies, aluminum corrosion protects against further decay, cheaper
Third choice - Enamel, finish is prone to chipping if abused, avoid metal scrubbies, corrosion resistant unless chipped, cheapest.

A good SS pot or heavy duty Al pot will last much longer than an enamel pot due to the somewhat fragile enamel coating. Many people prefer to due full boils which require larger than 5gal pots. i have not seen enamel pots larger than 5gal.

A 30qt turkey fryer is an inexpensive way to get a useable pot and burner sufficient for full boils.

Craig

As long as it is heavy enough it will be fine. A lot of the enamel pots are very thin walled and it you are direct fire heating you could get some scortching.

SS is great b/c it's non-reactive. Non-reactive materials include: SS, glass, and ceramic. Reactive materials include non-stick, bare copper, bare aluminum, and cast iron. Enameled pots and anodized aluminum, when new are good, but over time they can easily chip and scratch.

Due to the low ph of the wort (acidic and fatty liquids more readily react with the material), it's possible for reactive pots to leach and introduce off flavors during the boil (higher temp also makes it more reactive). Ever notice how the deposits are removed from a copper immersion chiller? If you don't clean the copper prior, this can actually be a bad thing...

So he got a 16qt SS pot in the end, but thanks for the replies, where can one get a turkey fryer and what is this false bottom you speak of?

16 quart? what's he making, starters?

Just kidding around...That will make some good extract/partial mash/small batch brew.
Watch like a hawk for boilovers w/ something that size!!!

So he got a 16qt SS pot in the end, but thanks for the replies, where can one get a turkey fryer and what is this false bottom you speak of?

You can get a turkey fryer from most hardware and home improvement stores. In addition many mega stores like Walmart and Target will carry then around Thanksgiving. They usually range between $40 and $100. You don't need the accessories but a larger pot or SS pot is nice. Try to get atleast 30qt if you want to do full boils.

False bottoms are used for all grain brewing. It is a perferated plate that fits into the pot or cooler. You do the mash of grains and hot water in the pot then drain the wort out. The false bottom allows it to drain out the valve in the tun without clogging. Other options include manifolds and SS braids. They are not needed for extract brewing.

Craig

Back