Grilled Brussels sprouts. Who knew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since this thread is linked on the homepage I almost thought (wanted to think) for a second you made a sprout brew because of the "who knew?" Though I think we all know how that would turn out. :D

I always thought they were little cabbages and that they should be turned into coleslaw until I saw a picture of them growing. All on a stalk.

They are pretty much little cabbages that grow on the side of the stem instead of one big cabbage at the top. Cabbage, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, collards, and kohlrabi are all different varieties of the same species: Brassica oleracea. Sorry for the plant nerd moment.... time to get a pork loin and fire up the grill!

I grew up absolutely DISPISING brussel sprouts...

Parents would get the frozen bag and boil them... god that stentch of sewer gas and urine... it was so NASTY... I swore for the life of me I would NEVER eat those things again.

Fast forward years later, I discovered that if you go buy real ones from the market and just grill/bake them with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, they come out amazing. No horrible stench, great char and crispness, and they are even sweet.

As a huge food nut and someone who loves to cook this was a big revelation, and I swore off ever trying them again for so long. Now I actually go out and buy them when in season!

boiling veg is just friggin wrong, also love asparagus on the grill!!

Grilled a pork tenderloin and asparagus last night. Just on a whim, I grabbed a couple handfuls of Brussels sprouts, tossed them with olive oil, Kosher salt and pepper, put them into a cast iron gratin dish, and onto the grill it went. I kept it on mostly indirect heat and let it cook for maybe 15 minutes, turning a couple times.

It was an awesome surprise and very, very tasty. I may have found a new favorite veg to go with grilled stuff.
Trow some bacon in there with them. Ummmm.

Awesome that on our homebrew forum, a 5 page (soon to be 6, 7, 8....) thread would surface about Brussels Sprouts!!! But what to drink with them? Something heavy and malty for the bacon-y versions? Or something crisp and light to cut the fat?

Think I'll be smoking some Brussels Sprouts while I brew this weekend.:ban:

I love brussels sprouts! A very underrated green, IMHO.

I trim the base off, cut them in half, then steam them for 8-10 minutes. I then toss them in some olive oil, fresh ground pepper, and sea salt, then spread them out on a baking sheet and roast them in the oven at 375° F for 20 minutes. So good!

I am going to have to try this too!!!

Cheers
Jay

My favorite way to do Brussel Sprouts

Large saute pan, cook up some chopped bacon
add garlic and onions, quartered sprouts and sea salt.
saute until they start to brown then sprinkle some balsamic on it.

Goes really well with some fish or chicken.

I love grilled brussel sprouts. I add red pepper flakes and put them straight on the grill. Adds a little char to the outside leaves and adds a nice texture.

You can do the same with Romaine lettuce. Cut in half add salt, olive oil grill face down until wilted. Once they are off the grill sprinkle fresh blue cheese. The chees gets into the crevices of the lettuce and melts. Yum!!

Add a Saison for beverage. The multitude of flavors is unreal.

There is one hell of a recipe in the stone brewing book. It uses pale ale.

I love them, too. I usually fry them in butter for a while then add a container of crème fraîche to the mix and continue frying until most of the liquid is evaporated, hovering above the pan for a long while with my pepper grinder!

I made the balsamic grilled brussel sprouts for the first time I've ever had sprouts before.

ERMAHGERD
ERMAHGERD
ERMAHGERD

New favorite veg? I think yes!!

It was really easy too... Little olive oil, little balsamic, little salt/pepper/garlic, shake it all up, then put it all into a rocket hot cast iron skillet on the grill next to my steak and NOM NOM NOM!!!

I just had to pop in and say, this was linked on the front page of HBT without saying what forum, and I totally clicked in thinking that someone was tossing grilled brussel sprouts in their ferment. :D

TIL there is a cooking forum here too!

I love them, too. I usually fry them in butter for a while then add a container of crème fraîche to the mix and continue frying until most of the liquid is evaporated, hovering above the pan for a long while with my pepper grinder!

I used to do the same, but also added mushrooms & tarragon; now I'm lactose intolerant, so cream sauces are something I have to be very careful with.
I also used to do a mushroom & champagne sauce, now I'm wondering if the champagne sauce will work well with the sprouts...
Regards, GF.

TheJasonT said:
I made the balsamic grilled brussel sprouts for the first time I've ever had sprouts before.

ERMAHGERD
ERMAHGERD
ERMAHGERD

New favorite veg? I think yes!!

It was really easy too... Little olive oil, little balsamic, little salt/pepper/garlic, shake it all up, then put it all into a rocket hot cast iron skillet on the grill next to my steak and NOM NOM NOM!!!

Yes! This I will have to try.

Here's another take:

Slice the brussels in half and marinate with balsamic vinagrette for about an hour. Bring the oven to 400 and bake for about 45 minutes. The balsamic will carmelize and the brussels taste awesome. Turned this 'hater' into a 'lover'.

Cheers!

+1, I sprinkle a bit of brown sugar on top as well.

Something we discovered was roasting them in the oven. Slice the brussels sprouts into 1/4" thick slices, toss with evoo, sea salt, pepper and some garlic powder, and roast on a foil lined cookie sheet for 20-22 minutes in a 400 deg oven. Stir and turn them at about the 10 minute mark. They crisp up and caramelize really nice.

I hated brussels sprouts until a few months ago but came up with a way to make em I can eat every day. I cut em in quarters then saute them in garlic butter for 20 mins or so. Then add a little water and one of those Knorr homestyle chicken stock packs and simmer until it thickens into a sauce. Tastes awesome.

Something we discovered was roasting them in the oven. Slice the brussels sprouts into 1/4" thick slices, toss with evoo, sea salt, pepper and some garlic powder, and roast on a foil lined cookie sheet for 20-22 minutes in a 400 deg oven. Stir and turn them at about the 10 minute mark. They crisp up and caramelize really nice.

I did exactly that on Friday (well, not exactly - I had to keep the temp at 350 because I was roasting a chicken at the same time) and the sprouts turned our really, really well.

I tried the roasted (in the oven) balsamic brussels sprouts this past saturday, but I put a slight twist on the recipe. It called for 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, which I did; but I also added 1 tablespoon of cranberry vinegar. My SIL makes this by pouring regular apple cider vinegar over fresh, whole cranberries & leaving it for a couple months. It's the most awesome flavoured vinegar I've ever tasted! Made for a very nice, very simple, very tasty change of pace.
Regards, GF.

I've been eating brussel sprouts at least twice a week now since this thread became popular. Either that, or it's the fact that my local supermarket has been sold out on spinach, broccoli and green beens almost every time I've went there.

But they always have a huge stack of brussel sprouts.

podz said:
I've been eating brussel sprouts at least twice a week now since this thread became popular. Either that, or it's the fact that my local supermarket has been sold out on spinach, broccoli and green beens almost every time I've went there.

But they always have a huge stack of brussel sprouts.

The cooking portion of this site puts ideas into my head....

Costco has a 2 lb bag I think for something like $3.99 back in the cold room.

That seems very overpriced to me. That price would be OK if it were a 4 lb bag. We buy 750g bags in Lidl for 1.99 EUR. That's more than 1.5 lbs for about 2.67 USD.

2 lbs is not really that much - a lot of the weight is water that evaporates during cooking. My wife eat that entire 750g bag just by ourselves in one meal.

BTW, Lidl is coming to the USA:

http://www.german-retail-blog.com/2013/06/13/lidl-goes-usa/

And you can probably already shop at Aldi.

http://www.german-retail-blog.com/2013/04/08/tesco-usa-soon-to-be-aldi-usa/

I tried the roasted (in the oven) balsamic brussels sprouts this past saturday, but I put a slight twist on the recipe. It called for 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, which I did; but I also added 1 tablespoon of cranberry vinegar. My SIL makes this by pouring regular apple cider vinegar over fresh, whole cranberries & leaving it for a couple months. It's the most awesome flavoured vinegar I've ever tasted! Made for a very nice, very simple, very tasty change of pace.
Regards, GF.

Holy crap I just blew my own mind. Freeze that vinegar. Rough up the surface with a fork so you get something akin to a vinegar snow cone... and then put that on...

everything...

That seems very overpriced to me. That price would be OK if it were a 4 lb bag. We buy 750g bags in Lidl for 1.99 EUR. That's more than 1.5 lbs for about 2.67 USD.

2 lbs is not really that much - a lot of the weight is water that evaporates during cooking. My wife eat that entire 750g bag just by ourselves in one meal.

BTW, Lidl is coming to the USA:

http://www.german-retail-blog.com/2013/06/13/lidl-goes-usa/

And you can probably already shop at Aldi.

http://www.german-retail-blog.com/2013/04/08/tesco-usa-soon-to-be-aldi-usa/

I'm happy SOMETHING is inexpensive in Europe. Nothing I found was.

And no offense, but have you ever shopped at Aldi in the USA? I have and I won't go back. Nasty. Produce looks like it's ready for the compost bin.

I'll stick with my expensive Costco brussels. But a lot of your beer is decent, which is what matters after all! :mug:

I have to revive this thread to say I did it again. Tonight, I took about a 1/2 pound of trimmed Brussels sprouts, tossed it in about 3 tablespoons of bacon fat (the good stuff with the black and brown bacony bits in it - I poured off the clear stuff so I could rub it all over the fish I was grilling).

Anyway, I mixed the good bacon fat with about 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg (which is key) and a couple pinches of Kosher salt, and into the hot cast iron gratin dish on the grill it went. 'Twas awesome.

Anyway, I mixed the good bacon fat with about 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg (which is key)

What the hell is it about asparagus and brussels sprouts with nutmeg that is so magical? Don't forget the lemon, too. Just a hint of it at the end really wakes everything up. Damn, I'm hungry again...

Latest posts

Back