Weihenstephaner Original - looking for clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker6

Reaction score
Had this beer for the first time, and fell in love with it. Having a brew day in a few weeks and am desperate for a clone recipe. I'm new to this site and appreciate your thoughts.

I am on my phone so i dont have the link but search ed worts bee cave hef. Extremely close and absoultely amazing. One of the easiest brews to make too

p.s. the yeast is a must, this is the same yeast the wienstephan brewery uses

I'm assuming you're looking for the Original and not the hefe (HUGE difference). Look up any helles recipe. Most likely 100% pils and a single hop. Easy recipe, difficult process. Can you lager?

Yes, I am looking for the Weihenstephaner Original (which is a lager) and not Weihenstephaner Pils.

My brew buddy can lager it, and we're willing to do decoction as well, if necessary.

I haven't brewed this exactly like this, so take it with a grain of salt, but I make a pretty good helles.
97% German Pils malt (Weyermann works well)
3% Weyermann acidulated malt
for an OG of about 1.050 (no crystal malts or anything else)
Use distilled water (not tap, or spring, etc. Distilled or if you have access to RO water).
1/2 tsp of calcium chloride for every 5 gallons of water you use to mash/sparge (I end up treating all of my water - 8 gallons - with one full tsp)
Single infusion mash at 149F for 60 minutes
75-90 minute boil
single hallertau bittering hop at 60 minutes to about 22 IBU (you can add a small addition of hallertau late for a little aroma, but it may not come through after lagering).
Cool the wort to 45F, aerate like crazy, and pitch an appropriate sized starter (HUGE) of your preferred lager yeast.
Ferment at 50F for 1-2 weeks (until complete) FG should be around 1.010, transfer to another vessel for lagering, and lager for 6-8 weeks.

To add, I think WLP 830 is their lager yeast. I usually add just a bit of Munich malt to my helles, about half a pound for 6 gallons. I would hazard a guess and say that their helles is all pils. I also do a protein rest at 130 for 10 minutes or so, but I'm not sure of the benefit (I started off doing it for my helles, and it's been really good, so I keep doing it).
This is a tough beer to brew, you have to have your ducks in a row on process, well worth it though IMO. Definitely go with the distilled water, calcium chloride, and acid malt - this beer needs low minerals/ions in the water and you can't get to the proper pH without the acid malt. Plus, I think the acid malt adds a little "German" flavor to it.

Haha ya i totally missed u were looking for the original as well lol sorry.

Let us know what u decide on and how it comes out that is an amazing beer, im interested

Danke StoneHands. If I can't find an exact Weihenstephaner Original clone recipe, then I'll probably brew yours.

Bitte schön.

Good luck! Update the thread if you do come up with something good, it's always nice for folks to come back after successes.

Back