IPA dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyhaydon

Reaction score
Hello all.

ok so i started my muntons connoisseurs IPA kit on the 6th, has been in primary since then. last 2 readings (15th and 17th) have shown 1010 from an sg of 1042. If it is still at 1010 tomorrow im thinking i may drop in my dry hops for 6 days, then transfer to keg. Since i am going away on the 27th for a week, i was thinking dry hop, transfer to secondary for 2 days in the warm, and then cool for a week while i am away and see where I am at. thoughts?
thanks for the help.

tomorrow, dry hop for 7 days (25th), transfer to keg, leave at room temp until you get back, cool and carbonate. OR, better yet, transfer to keg tomorrow with weighted sack of dry hops suspended 1/4 way down with unflavored dental floss tied to keg handle, set in cool place for a week, put on carbonation in cold kegeratore/keezer while you're gone, serve a decently carbed pint when you get back.

thanks for the help. dry hopping tomorrow for a week sounds good, fits my timescale nicely and gives a good week whilst i go away for it to condition. also, i have some chitosan finings, to use or not to use in the secondary?
cheers.

The only finings I ever use are in the boil, not to mention I've never heard of chitosans :D . Being an IPA that's being dryhopped, it's not expected to be clear and IS expected to have a mild cloudiness about it, so I wouldn't worry about any finings - but that's just me.

im still on the fence whether or not to bother with the finings, Im not sure that I will need them. thanks again mate.

Back