Should I make a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kriso77

Reaction score
I have a vial of White Labs Belgian Wit yeast that has been in my refridgerator for 2 weeks. I am going to use it on Sunday. The instructions say to just bring it to room temperature and pitch. Should I make a starter? If I make it tonight, am I giving it enough time to do its thing? I've never made a starter before. I assume I would leave it at room temperature just like a 5 gallon wort?

Thanks!

I would make a starter yes. Making a starter is almost always better than not making one. To make a starter, combine two cups of water with 1/2 cup of DME. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for approximately 10 minutes. Then cool. Once you reach pitching temps, add your vial of WL yeast and shake thoroughly. You will also want to swirl the container regularly. Obviously sanitation is very important too. If you are planning on using it on Sunday, you will probably be pitching at the perfect time. Usually 2-3 days before pitching is best. You will be fine. I have even made a starter in the morning and pitched it in the afternoon with results better than just pitching the vial.

Starter's promote healthy fermentation
2oz DME to 400 ml H20, hold above 185f for at least 20 minutes, cool and pitch yeast.
Aerate like no tommorow.

Back