Help, Mead has browned corks!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnome

Reaction score
Made a batch of Mead 6/06, Racked to second 7/06, Racked to third, Bottled 12/06. Moved to North Carolina 5/07, so they came out of chiller and into storage for 1 1/2 months, then back into chiller. Got out a sample to night and noticed that there was a brown patch of sediment on down side of bottle and also on bottom of cork(inside of bottle). Dose anyone recognise the situation, is the batch ruined?

mead prob.jpg

I don't think the batch is ruined, it doesn't taste bad, right? It's probably the cork starting to dry up. What type of corks did you buy? The cheaper stuff will dry out and allow air to oxidize the beverage, whereas the good quality corks will last for a long time. This is why many wines are stored horizontally, so the cork can be hydrated. I favor champagne corks, they cost more but will last a long time.

I used #7 25 count bag from the local brew shop. I guess that having to crate them upright for the 2300 mile trip and letting them stay like that while in storage and warm, may have affected the out come. To nights sample taste alright still "hot", but the honey and vanilla is starting to come to the foreground.
Recipe;
14 lbs Flagstaff Wildflower honey
4 gal. purified water
2 Vanilla beans
2 tsp gypsum
Wyeast 4632 Dry Mead yeast
2 tsp yeast nutrient
2 lbs Flagstaff Wildflower honey
2 tsp yeast nutrient
6/24/06 Activate yeast pack and fallow instructions
bring 4 gal to 160, add 14lbs honey and vanilla beans, back to 160 for 20 min. skim off top sediments.
cool to 70 f. pour into primary carboy, top up to 5 gal.
pitch yeast, add 2 tsp yeast nutrient.
Airiate 3 1/2 min with lees stirrer
Airlock 75 f room temp. 1.10 sg.
7/1 pasturized 2 lbs Flagstaff honey in 2 1/2 quarts of purified water 20 min.
ice bath cool down 76f add 2 tsp yeast nutrient.
airiate by shaking 1 gal jug five min.
add to primary 1.048 sg @76f
7/10 .0990 sg @ 75f Racked to secondary carboy. placed in tub with pump and fan, 68f chiller
8/13 racked to third carboy .0990 sg. @70f
11/26 racked to fourth carboy .0990 @ 75f add 1 1/4 tsp potassium sorbate.
11/30 add super-kleer KC.
12/2/06 bottled.
taste test every couple months still "hot"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Washington Merlot
Mead
Amber Ale
American Ale

When you live in Arizona you spend as much of the summers as you can somewhere cooler, just visited flag. Actually from Apache Junction, Gold canyon area.

I buy synthetic corks so I don't have to worry about corks drying up, or falling apart upon removal.

Back