Does this recipe need Carapils or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpd966

Reaction score
I'm doing an IPA this weekend and I'm not sure if I should be using any Carapils in this brew. I wasoriginally going to steep 1/2 lb but the guy at the LHBS advised me to just steep the whole pound I purchased from him. After reading more about the Carapils, I'm not sure if he's correct. Here's the brew:

6lbs. Light DME
1lb Caramel 20L (30 min @ 154)
CARAPILS?

1oz. Amarillo @ 60min

.5oz Cascade @30min
.25oz Citra @ 30min

.5oz Cascade @15min
.25oz Citra @ 15min

.5oz Cascade @10min
.25oz Citra @ 10min

.5oz Cascade @0min
.25oz Citra @ 0min

Undecided on drop hopping this one.
Wyeast American Ale II (starter)

Any pointers about this recipe would be appreciated. I'm thinking with all the hops I don't need the Carapils. And I don't want a hazy beer. Thanks.

I second that.

You should definitely post a followup on how you like the results that the yeast gives you - my next pale ale is using the same strain & I've not used it previously. :)

The first brew I made was very similar to this (1 lb of crystal and no carapils). It was slightly sweet and VERY tasty. If anything, I would even say there was too much body/head retention -- which is good if that's what you're going for. Plus I've read that hop biterness also adds to mouthfeel and head.

Actually my next brew is going to look almost the same as yours (except using Magnum for bittering)

Is it just me, or is 1lb of 20L way too much? I'd pare that back to about 1/3 or 1/4 lb. With this type of extract IPA, I don't think that you'd want more than a 10% or so grain addition.
Also, since you're asking...I'd move the 30 minute hop additions to the 20 minute mark (extract more flavor and aroma, and not as much AA bitterness) and definitely YES on dry-hopping. Just my 2 cents.

I did a very similar recipe and it was awesome. I used half pound chrystal 20 and half pound carapils. It had nice head and some lacing, but I wouldn't say it was overcarbed

Thanks guys. I'm going to do away with the Carapils altogether, maybe lower the 20L a bit. I've only been to this LHBS twice, nice place but I'll think twice before I take that guys advice on recipes again.

Gropo: Good call on the hop schedule. I'm actually looking for more flavor so I'll definitely take your suggestion and bump the 30 min to a 20 min. Thanks. Do you think the 1lb. of 20L will make the brew too sweet?

Thanks guys. I'm going to do away with the Carapils altogether, maybe lower the 20L a bit. I've only been to this LHBS twice, nice place but I'll think twice before I take that guys advice on recipes again.

Gropo: Good call on the hop schedule. I'm actually looking for more flavor so I'll definitely take your suggestion and bump the 30 min to a 20 min. Thanks. Do you think the 1lb. of 20L will make the brew too sweet?

Since an IPA is a relatively dry beer, in general you don't want to add a big-bunch of non-fermentables. Search the recipe section of this forum for extract IPA; you'll get a pretty good outline for what makes a successful IPA. Have fun...I'm sure it'll turn out great!

I second that.

You should definitely post a followup on how you like the results that the yeast gives you - my next pale ale is using the same strain & I've not used it previously. :)

Just tasted this in my primary. So far so so good. I'll let ya know when it's done.

its a little late, but just so you know, pretty much every extract has carapils in it already

Back