Best combination of Bittering and Aroma Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XpeedeeX

Reaction score
Im trying to create an IPA recipe and I want at great combination of bittering and aroma hops. Any suggestions will be great thanks.

honestly, I'm not sure many people really think about a particular bittering and aroma combo. Bittering hops will have little, if any, impact on aroma, so you shouldn't really need to worry about anything clashing.

Ive heard read posts about people who like to use certain hops with other hops and I was simply looking for a good combination to create a great IPA

Most people will want to use a clean, high AA hop for bittering. You can save some money buy using less and really let those aroma and flavor hops shine. Galena and Magnum seem to be popular choices.

For the aroma and flavor, we first need to know if you are looking for an English or American IPA - that will narrow you're choices a bit.

Most people will want to use a clean, high AA hop for bittering. You can save some money buy using less and really let those aroma and flavor hops shine. Galena and Magnum seem to be popular choices.

For the aroma and flavor, we first need to know if you are looking for an English or American IPA - that will narrow you're choices a bit.

Exactly! For an American IPA, bittering with a high AA hope with a "clean" flavor is most common. I've used magnum, warrior, and galena almost interchangeably. I've also used chinook with great success, and columbus is another good one. Aside from the actual bittering, you get very little "flavor" from the bittering additon.

For flavor and aroma combos, I love simcoe/amarillo, cascade/centennial, and cascade/chinook.

Amarillo, simcoe, and cascade are good with just about any other US hop and they work well together too.

It depends what quality you want your bittering to have. If you prefer smooth bitterness, go with Horizon or Magnum. If you want bitterness that's a little more edgy/harsh, go with something like Chinook or CTZ and up your gypsum addition.

As for flavor/aroma, there are numerous great combinations. Centennial/Cascade is a classic, Simcoe is amazing all by its lonesome self, and Amarillo isn't all that wonderful by itself in my opinion, but pairs very well with the C-hops. Beyond that - just head to your homebrew store, go to their freezer and start rubbing and smelling their hops. A good store should allow you to do that, and you'll quickly learn about and try out hops that are used less frequently, like Ahtanum, Palisade, Bramling Cross, WGV, and dozens of others.

What homebrew shop has hops in open containers?

None, hopefully. Resealable ones are the way to go for shops that allow you to purchase any increment of hops you want instead of having to purchase in 1 or 2 oz-increments.

Back