Pliny Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelers77

Vendor
Reaction score
So I've been thinking about putting together a Pliny pack for the community and would like to get a consenses on what recipe to use. I've been given a few but I want to run it by the community before I put one together. Lets discuss this and see what we come up with.

I have brewed Jamil's Hop Hammer version of PTE but upped the hops a bit. Everyone who has sampled this beer has loved it. This is the hop schedule that I personally used:

2.0 OZ WARRIOR (90 MIN)
2.0 OZ CHINOOK (90 MIN)
1.0OZ SIMCOE (45 MIN)
1 OZ COLUMBUS (30 MIN)
2.25 OZ CENTENNIAL (FLAMEOUT)
1.0 OZ SIMCOE (FLAMEOUT)

3.25 OZ COLUMBUS (DRY HOP AFTER ROUGHLY 7 DAYS OR SO)
1.75 OZ CENTENNIAL (DRY HOP)
1.75 OZ SIMCOE (DRY HOP)

Montanaandy

This is the hop schedule for the PTE recipe that Vinnie C gave in a recent issue of Zymurgy:

3.50 oz Columbus - 90 min
.75 oz Columbus - 45 min
1.0 oz Simcoe - 30 min
1.0 Oz Centennial - flameout
2.5 oz Simcoe - flameout
1.0 oz Columbus - 12 day dry hop
1.0 oz Centennial - 12 day dry hop
1.0 oz Simcoe - 12 day dry hop
.25 oz Columbus - 5 days before keggins
.25 Centennial - 5 days before kegging
.25 oz Simcoe - 5 days before kegging

I brewed this over the weekend so it is too early to tell how it compares to Jamil's version of PTE from Brewing Classic Styles. Montanaandy

I don't know of a recipe to suggest but I think this is a great idea and will be picking up the pliny pack when it is released.

This is the hop schedule for the PTE recipe that Vinnie C gave in a recent issue of Zymurgy:

3.50 oz Columbus - 90 min
.75 oz Columbus - 45 min
1.0 oz Simcoe - 30 min
1.0 Oz Centennial - flameout
2.5 oz Simcoe - flameout
1.0 oz Columbus - 12 day dry hop
1.0 oz Centennial - 12 day dry hop
1.0 oz Simcoe - 12 day dry hop
.25 oz Columbus - 5 days before keggins
.25 Centennial - 5 days before kegging
.25 oz Simcoe - 5 days before kegging

I brewed this over the weekend so it is too early to tell how it compares to Jamil's version of PTE from Brewing Classic Styles. Montanaandy

And here is the whole recipe.

http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/1Pliny%20the%20Elder%20clone%20PDF.pdf

Anyone have the AHS recipe?

Alright, here's what I came up with based on Vinnie recipe supplied by NinjaJoe. I will increase the Columbus 90min addition to 4/oz (because my Columbus AA is less that the recipe), and keep the rest the same. My Simcoe AA is .10 less that the recipe so it should be negligible. I think I will sell these for $12.25. Also I will package these according to addition, so you just add the whole pack at the appropriate time. What do you guys think.

Alright, here's what I came up with based on Vinnie recipe supplied by NinjaJoe. I will increase the Columbus 90min addition to 4/oz (because my Columbus AA is less that the recipe), and keep the rest the same. My Simcoe AA is .10 less that the recipe so it should be negligible. I think I will sell these for $12.25. Also I will package these according to addition, so you just add the whole pack at the appropriate time. What do you guys think.

I say...YAYYYYYYY.

haha

good deal, mate.

Couple questions.

You state that your Columbus is less than that of the recipe. The recipe lists 13.90%, your hop thread has your pellet columbus listed at 14.2% and your leaf columbia listed at 16.6%. Is your pellet columbus no longer 14.2%?

Can we get a final hop #'s provided in the package? I came up with:

5.5 oz Columbus (6oz if you round up the 90min addition to 4oz)
2.25 oz Simcoe
2.25 oz Centennial

Total: 11 oz

That seem right?

With the pricing, is that $12.25 plus shipping or shipping included?

Thanks again! I know I'll be ordering this, and hopefully we can all agree on a couple more so that I can place an order for 2 or 3 of these "Hop Packs".

Mmmm, Gumbalhead, Two Hearted, Blind Pig, Hopslam...the options are endless!!!

Hmm, maybe not Gumballhead and Two Hearted since those are both single hop beers, but you get the idea.

Ninja,
I forgot to update my page with new AA, sorry about that. My Columbus pellets are 12.3 now, that's why there is an increase to 4/oz for the 90min addition. Also, I came up tith a total of 13oz of hops for this beer. 6/oz Columbus, 4.75 Simcoe, and 2.25 Centennial.

sounds pretty good!

On the AA stuff, I don't think it matters much in the late additions especially when your talking a .3 difference. Just adjust for the 90 and 45 minute additions, maybe the 30 if your feeling anal about it.

humann,
That's the approach I was taking, with the IBU levels we are talking about a few AA won't make much difference. Thanks for the input.

Ninja,
I forgot to update my page with new AA, sorry about that. My Columbus pellets are 12.3 now, that's why there is an increase to 4/oz for the 90min addition. Also, I came up tith a total of 13oz of hops for this beer. 6/oz Columbus, 4.75 Simcoe, and 2.25 Centennial.

Awesome, and yes I can't add!

Mark me down for at least one. I'd like to order everything at once, so if you decide on some other "Hop Pack's" post them up!

Thanks again

*Edit*

Just throwing this out there, but if you do indeed do other Hop packs, I'd be interested in the following.

Stone IPA/Runiation
Rouge Dead Guy/Double Dead Guy
DFH 60/90 min IPA
Sweetwater
etc,etc,etc

steelers 77 i think this is a great idea.

I use the aha recipe all the time.

i brew 2 batches a month. 1 is never around more than about 3 weeks.
thank god for my keg system.
i dont know if i could keep up with bottling.

i did try a batch with citra added to dry hop it was great.
he does have citra fyi.

Count me in as another that would buy the pack. This would finally get me to order some other varieties in bulk as well. Let us know when this deal goes live!

I bought the pliny-pack about three weeks ago. It arrived promptly, and well packaged. The grains I ordered from MoreBeer got held up though, so I'm only just now brewing.

Another plus was that the hops were really well labeled: they're packaged based on WHEN you add them, so the 90 minute pack includes two different hop varieties, and so does the flame-out pack. I weighed each package, and they're correct weights.

Thumbs up to the vendor!

Another plus was that the hops were really well labeled: they're packaged based on WHEN you add them, so the 90 minute pack includes two different hop varieties, and so does the flame-out pack. I weighed each package, and they're correct weights.

Actually, based on the recipe Steelers77 used, there should be only one hop in the 90 min pack. Indeed 2 in the flameout pack however.

I brewed one of these up for big brew day on the 1st. It's bubbling happily away right now. I'll be sure to post when it is finished.
I ended up using the Pliny Pack with the following grain bill:
12 lbs 2-row Malt
.6 lb CaraPils
.6 Crystal 60
.75 corn sugar

My OG was right on at 1.070

Ran mine through the CB20 for BBD as well. Actually used only half the Pliny Pack for a 3.5 gal batch.

8lb two-row
.5lb corn sugar
.37lb carapils
.37lb C-40

60 min mash @ 154, 90 min boil. Got 1.072 OG and 75% efficiency.

I get 75% also, I do the hybrid batch sparge. Batch sparge with half the water, run-off while adding more water. I put a piece of aluminum foil w/holes in it on top of the mash to prevent channeling.

I brewed this on Saturday but I did extract version, its bubbling away now.
1lb 2-row malt
.28 lbs crystal malt (40L)
.86 lbs CaraPils malt
6.15 lbs Light DME
1lb corn sugar

Thanks for the correction! I listened to the interview with Vinnie Cirluzo on the BN over the week; he says that the commercial addition at 90 minutes is "generic hop extract." Originally, he said, it used to be CTZ (Columbus, Tomahawk, Zeus,) but he can't get that anymore.

I also brewed with extract, using this recipe for my grain bill. I added the sugar at the beginning of the boil (as in the commercial example) but waited to add the extract until the last 15 minutes.

The color coming out of the kettle was a medium dark amber. Next time I might try an extra light extract, or use a lower L crystal.

I pitched from a starter, and the lid blew off my fermenter after about eight hours. It was only uncovered for about ten minutes before I got to it, and the krausen was going like CRAZY, so I'm confident that the yeast will defeat any possibility of infection.

The temperature has been kept at a steady 68*F.

I'm going to add my first dry hop addition on Friday, when I expect active fermentation to be complete.

My color is similar to pericles. I would call it a reddish amber. Hindsight I wish I wouldve done the late addition instead of at the beginning. Im with Pericles though, next time will try extra light and see if that can bring it down some in color.

Side note: Is it necessary to do two dry hop sessions, or can they be combined to one?

Side note: Is it necessary to do two dry hop sessions, or can they be combined to one?

Why wouldn't you? You're dry-hopping for 2 weeks anyway, how difficult is it to add the last pack with 5 days to go?

To get that massive Pliny fresh hop aroma, I'd say yes, the 2nd one is a must.

Back