How to get started in mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctalbot

Reaction score
Hey, everyone.

I'm fairly new to homebrewing. I've only brewed up one batch of extract-based beer.

However, I'm very interested in getting into making mead, but I'm hoping to find a very basic mead recipe that doesn't get into using fruits.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get started with something very basic?

Chris

EDIT: I should add that I'd prefer to make a slightly sweet mead.

Mead is as easy as honey,water and yeast or as complicated as you want to make it. I've never brewed any yet. I am starting my first batch this weekend so take what I say with a grain of salt. However I have read countless hours on making mead and I have a thread now with my recipe for my first batch. Just ask any specific questions and I am SURE you will get them answered here.

Thanks to both of you. It seems recipes call for a varying amount of honey per batch. For a five-gallon batch, with the idea of trying to make the mead semi-sweet, how much honey should I be looking at adding?

Chris

3-3.5 lbs/gallon, maybe more, depending you the yeast you use. EC1118 will ferment 3lbs/gallon into a dry mead. D47 might be a better choice if you want residual sweetness. If its still too dry, you can back sweeten (add honey after initial fermentation is done).

ctalbot said:
Thanks to both of you. It seems recipes call for a varying amount of honey per batch. For a five-gallon batch, with the idea of trying to make the mead semi-sweet, how much honey should I be looking at adding?

Chris

I agree with NurseNan 3 to 3.5 lbs per gallon is a good number. If you want your traditional I would absolutly use the Lalvin ICV D47 yeast. Just make sure use some Nutrients. This yeast will get your ABV to 14% but if you want it higher you can add some honey during the rackings and it can increase it to around the 17% mark. If you need a basic traditional receipe just give a yell, been using the same one since before 2000 and it turns out great everytime.

I also like my meads a bit sweeter so I do back sweeten mine. There are tons of receipes on gotmead.com and several of mine are there. Just a bit of advice, if your making a traditional mead get the best honey! Each can impart some really interesting flavors and aromas. I used Cranberry honey on the last batch and it did have a different spicy flavor.

Best of luck and let us know how you progress.

Thanks, everyone.

I think I'll aim to give this a try very soon. I think there's a place not too far from me that sells natural honey, so I'll have to stop in and see what they have.

Thanks again. :)

Chris

haha i know but if he's being using the same recipe then he'll probably still have it

Back