Vertical Epic 08-08-08 clone, newer ag brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

believeinsteve

Reaction score
so I've done a handful of ag brews, and i think i've gotten it down fairly well. My efficiency hits around the mid 80's.
So, i thought i would try something a little more daring, and decided on the Stone Vertical Epic 08 clone from their site.
Stone Vertical Epic Ale

and with beersmith this is the recipe i figured out
for a 5 gallon batch
13.50 lbs Pale Malt 2 row -87.10%
( i assume stone uses US 2 row, so i will too)
1 lb Flaked Oats - 6.45 %
1 lb Table Sugar - 6.45 %
(their recipe calls for candi syrup, but lhbs doesent have it)

mashing at 148 for two hours. I do the bobby m, no mash out double batch sparge method.

So I've never used flaked oats before. is there anything i should know about mashing with them?
Has anyone ever tried this recipe before? if so, how did it come out?

40 views and nothing to say.

im just wondering about the flaked oats even in such a small amount, and if anyone has tried this recipe?

Haven't tried tasting it yet. I have a 22oz of 8-8-8 in the fridge. Theres a thread around here that shows how to make candi sugar/syrup. (At least I thought there was)

yea i tried the 08 when it came out and loved it, problem was i couldnt save any.

I have made the syrup before, but was only successful for dark colors for dubbels and dark strongs. Whenever i've tried to make the light stuff it seems like it goes from clear to dark pee colored in a milisecond. But I'll probably try the syrup again.

thanks for the input on the oats, they also seemed a little out of place to me for a belgian, but then again this isn't truly belgian

thanks for the replies

Jamil Z claims that table or corn sugar can be substituted for light candi sugar with little to no difference in flavor. Don't know if this is the case from personal experience, but he is usually a pretty reliable source

i made this several weeks ago but changed it up slightly. i substituted wheat malt for the flaked oats since they were using it for head retention. it only added .2 to the SRM. also used table sugar. only did a 90min mash, 2 hours seemed excessive. i have never had the real thing but the hydrometer sample tasted great (was at 1.009 after 5 days). mine should be ready by 08.08.09.

I made this last october or so. I followed their recipe and used the 2 cadi sugars they suggested. Mine came out very nice. I cracked one open a few weeks ago for teh first time since Jan and it's still great. I used the oats as directed and just included them in the mash like normal. Other than this being a loooong brew day witht the 2 hour mash and 90 minute boil, everythign went smoothly as far as i can remember.

i've subbed table sugar before for a jamil recipe, and it was fine.

the 04 sounds interesting, i never tasted that one. kaffir lime leaves? that sounds awesome

i've subbed table sugar before for a jamil recipe, and it was fine.

the 04 sounds interesting, i never tasted that one. kaffir lime leaves? that sounds awesome

I'm doing a batch now that I based on that, but scaled down to 5%, split the 10 gallon batch into 5 with the Bastogne yeast like the original and the other 5 is an all brett c. fermentation. The brett fermentation looks neat. Very big white bubbles on top.

As for sugar, you can take that lb of sugar, add around two teaspoons of water, the juice from one lemon and invert it yourself to make candy sugar. Just boil it until it hits the soft crack mark of 275F and add a little water if it becomes too thick. Once it starts to turn an amber color. Then just dump it into your wort boil, but be careful it can splatter a little. I do this when I'm making Chimay clones etc.
Thanks for posting that recipe, I think it will be on my list for 9/9/09
Inverting sugar.
* Soft Ball * 115C 239F
* Hard Ball * 127C 260.6F
* Soft Crack * 135C 275F
* Hard Crack * 150C 302F

holy crap. is it 100% brett? and still with the lime leaves? thats sound amazing. we should work out a swap sometime.

How long have they been going so far and how much longer will the brett take? thats sounds so good. I just visited my local brewery, which happens to be russian river, and drank their 100 percent brett, golden belgian. it got me thinking about making something similar.

i know that bastogne yeast has been out for a bit. is it just a blend of other white labs strains or is there something wild too?

I can't imagine why anyone would wanted to clone this (well, honestly, I accept the fact that people have different tastes) as I HATED the aftertaste from this beer.

Anyone still have any bottles of this left that they made? I tried the 2008 vertical epic at the bar the other day and it was amazing. Decided then and there I will make this next year.

Back