What to do with sub-par beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
With sub-par wine you make sangria, or hippocras.

Is there anything similar to do with sub-par beer?
Make a shandy I guess. But I'm looking for better options.

You could try various beer cocktails. Beer blending has become very popular at bars in my area. Try and find other beers that would compliment the beer in question and try mixing to taste. I usually drink the good stuff first and then switch to the sub-par after I won't fully appreciate better beer personally.

Lucky Buddha Beer, an Asian pilsner.

I bought a six pack for the bottles. We shared one and it was better than most expected, but no one wanted another. So I have 5 bottles of beer no one wants to drink, and i want the empty bottles.

I boil brats in my subpar homebrew.

But, to be honest, if I need room in a keg or something like that - I dump it and drink good beer. In my experience, it is rare that you make a bad/subpar beer "good." You might make it "ok" or "drinkable"..... but, I don't drink "drinkable" beer if there is an option.

I still have a few of my first batches around I don't want to drink. These were made when I knew nothing about temps or oxidation and was chasing abv.

Skip and Go Naked
(aka Sip and Go Blind)

Bottle of lager/cream ale
Shot of gin
Shot of grenadine
Half shot of lemon juice or sweet and sour mix

Mix carefully, it can foam rather badly.

With sub-par wine you make sangria, or hippocras.

Is there anything similar to do with sub-par beer?
Make a shandy I guess. But I'm looking for better options.

Easiest thing to do with them is DRINK THEM after you've had 8-10 awesome beers beforehand. You won't taste a thing and you can keep that awesome buzz going strong! :rockin:

Lucky Buddha Beer, an Asian pilsner.

I bought a six pack for the bottles. We shared one and it was better than most expected, but no one wanted another. So I have 5 bottles of beer no one wants to drink, and i want the empty bottles.

Cook with it. Beer brats. Beer but chicken (pour the beer in to an empty soda can). Heck, Google "recipes using beer" and you get a million hits from the big (and free) recipe sites. I got a sixer of Kirin as a "gift" and I only used it for cooking... I can't bear to actually drink it, but it makes great grilled beer-butt chicken.

On Sunday, I hickory-smoked a pork butt, poured a Blue Moon Agave Nectar Ale in the drip pan. I'd say thats a good use for sub-par beer

Back