Malting corn???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shinenaked

Reaction score
I'm trying to malt corn... I'm a noob... I've been reading and coming short on my research. Right now I have 10 pds of corn in a cooler in luke warm water. Plan on soaking for a day the I'm assuming I need to do this every night until I get sprouts of a inch or more. Once I have good length in sprouts I plan on stirring vigorously and skimming off shells off top. Then draining and putting malt my 5gal bucket to start my brewing process. Please correct my method in anyway or if someone knows something better please help.

The December Brew your own magazine has an article about making ancient Mexican beer.
It's made with corn, water and wild yeast.
They give a brief description of the process that the natives use to malt their corn.

I just listened to a podcast on malting grain this morning ( barley, not corn) if you soak the grain in a bucket of water without air you will drown the grains and kill them. Either aerate with an o2 stone or spread out on a flat sheet so the grains get oxygen. 100 years ago maltsters put the grains in a bag and suspended them in a running stream to aerate. Do you have a clean running stream nearby?

Being a farmer I sometimes do a germination test on my grains before I plant them to make sure they will have the proper percent germination so I can adjust my planter accordingly I just put the (counted grains) amount on a damp paper towel, fold the towel over the grains and put them in a plastic bag (ziplock preferred) and put them in a safe location away from where the sun hitting them would get them too warm. In 5 or 6 days I can see the sprout coming out the end and can count the percentage of sprouted grains. If I plant and it rains hard enough to make ponds in my field, those areas have to be replanted because it will kill the seed.

Thanks for the information I'm going to put an air stone in my water. I was reading and apparently you want to soak for 4-5 days. Seems kinda long but I guess trial and error is about to be in effect. From there I'm going to keep in a cooler with drilled drain holes until it sprouts ill post if this works

I believe the intent is to keep it moist and with available oxygen intil it sprouts, to develop the enzymes necessary to convert the starches to sugar in the mash. Think of it this way: you are trying to recreate the conditions of a seed kernel in the soil. It has both available moisture and oxygen. I believe if you soak it without oxygen for 5 days you will not get the desired results. Perhaps if you spread it out on a towel, moisten and cover, similar to what RM-NM described for his seed proofing.

Back