Post a picture of inside your MT, HLT, and BK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HitTheTwit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know that we are each creative geniuses in our own way, but it's always fun to see what everyone else is doing too. Post some pictures of the inside of your MashTun, HLT, and Boil Kettles. That way we can steal... ahem, adapt, your genius to ours!

This is one of my BK, don't have any others.

newpicks027.jpg

This is one of my BK, don't have any others.

newpicks027.jpg

I'm assuming you whirlpool, and allow the trub to settle. How's the braid been for keeping hop debris out? Any issues with something like a pellet hopped IPA?

If it works fine, that looks super easy and cheap to implement.

OK here is my mash tun
Mash%20padle%20and%20tun.jpg

boil kettle
IMG_0007.jpg

and HLT
IMG_0123.jpg

They are 55 gal drums more info here
Burrning Barn Brewing
Dave Star

It looks like your HLT drains out the bottom. How does that function?

You've got a whirlpool tube in your HLT and BK, but they go in different directions. Have you found one direction whirlpool is better than the other? Or am I just thinking of a toilet myth.

Code:
It looks like your HLT drains out the bottom. How does that function?
The HLT drained out of the bottom because i cut the drum to be upside down to use the fittings that were all ready there . It dose a very good job of draining all the way to the height of the slits in the bottom of the manifold . going out the side would also do the same thing so draining out the bottom was just for the convenience of the hole was already there .
Code:
You've got a whirlpool tube in your HLT and BK, 
but they go in different directions. 
Have you found one direction whirlpool is better than the other? 
Or am I just thinking of a toilet myth.
The long angled tube is the intake and shorter one is the return so the flow direction is the same . Whilst my kettle is big it's not big enough for the Coriolis effect but since I live in the northern hemisphere I instinctual made in go clockwise.
Dave

I had never thought about cutting out the bottom instead of the top. How do you have your kettles seated during brew day?

Usually set them up on some cornies for the time being... Working on a single tier rig that I will either notch or have some "feet" attached to the bottoms of the kegs...

Back